Monday, January 14, 2013

Sleepless Night Prayer Watching

For the past several weeks I have had difficulty sleeping all the way through the night. After two to three hours of sleep I wake up and cannot go back to sleep from anywhere from one to three hours. This morning I sat in my chair praying. I prayed for people and situations in our church. I prayed for burdens and for direction. I prayed and prayed.

If I have to be awake I might as well use that time profitably. Prayer is the greatest work I can engage in during those sleepless nights. Though exhausted from weeks of not getting sufficient sleep God keeps sustaining me and opening His word to me.

I would prefer to sleep through a full night and get up early as has been my habit for years. During this season that does not happen. If God is indeed waking me after two to three hours of slumber I have to use that time during the wee hours to pray and seek God. I am not sure if He wants to tell me something, just wants to commune with me, or is calling me to a life of intercession like Evan Roberts who often awoke to spend time in prayer for the revival sweeping his nation and then went back to bed for a few hours.

My days are His days. My nights are His nights. If I have to be awakened to pray even more then so be it. I want to stand my watch on the walls of Paradise. [Is 62:6-7] I hope you will take your appointed shift on the walls of your community as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment