Monday, January 7, 2013

My One Goal for the New Year

In years past I have sat down on New Year's Eve and prayerfully set goals for the new year. This year  I only set one goal. In years past I set goals to read a certain number of books, to write books, and goals for the churches I have served to increase in baptisms and attendance. I would go back and reevaluate at the end of the year to see how I did staying focused on achieving each goal.

This has proven to be a good discipline for me. It has helped me to stay focused and disciplined through out the year. This year though only one goal surfaced. It will be the hardest to achieve not only for 2013 but for life. Here it is. My one goal for 2013: TRUST GOD! That's it.

We had a great Sunday to start off 2013. We had great attendance and baptized four students. I made some personal vows to the Lord and one of them being I want to trust Him during 2013. A few hours later God gave me the first opportunity to truly trust Him in this new year. The circumstances are not important. Suffice it to say it took me by shock and immediately I had to remind myself to trust God. Better should I say I had to repeatedly remind myself to trust God well into the night and early this morning.

On the surface that might seem like a simple goal. I know better. I know how easily faith can fade into doubt in my life. This year I am determined to become stronger in prayer and to trust God more than I ever have before. No doubt God will give me ample opportunities to live this out. I choose trust. I know what my ears hear and what my eyes see. I also know what my feelings dictate. All these combine to tempt me to doubt, worry, and lose hope.

I am resolved to combat that this year like never before. Trust me, the trials are only increasing. So are the opportunities to trust God. With my head constantly buried in the scripture I find peace like this morning from two verses in Psalms. [Ps 118:5] From my distress I called upon the Lord, the Lord answered me and set me in a large place." [Ps 119:165] Those who love your law have great peace, and nothing causes them to stumble.

I can honestly say today I am not stumbling. I see the mountains I am up against and I have laid them at the Lord's feet. I have found comfort and strength from His word and I press on. I will trust God today. I will seek to trust God tomorrow and all the tomorrows of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment