Thursday, September 27, 2012

Getting Away

For the first time in fifteen months I got away to the prayer cabin I often retreat to for renewal and direction from the Lord. I just returned into town. I am not sure if I had ever needed such a retreat anymore badly than I needed this one.

My faith had ebbed pretty low. I exhibited many signs associated with burnout. Depression hung over me like a fog. I found myself dutifully getting through the duties of the day but had lost the delight. I knew something was broken in me that I could not fix. I still had my quiet times. I still read scripture. In an act of desperation I rearranged a few things in my schedule, talked with our leadership team and made the three hour trip away to the prayer cabin this past Sunday.

I could not believe it had been fifteen months since the last time I had gotten away to pray and recharge.  I am going to write a series of blogs over the next several days of some basic lessons the Lord reminded me of while there. They were often painful lessons.

When the four days came to an end I was actually excited to return to my life and ministry in Paradise. I had two main counselors on that trip. One I talked to extensively on the phone and the other was my host at the retreat. My host and I shared several meals together and several lengthy conversations. I want to thank my Father in Heaven most. He knew what I needed. He met with me in profound ways. He counseled me in ways the other two could not. He renewed me in every way I needed to be renewed.

Everyday while away I woke up with a phrase in my mind along with some scripture. Each day the message differed from the previous day and to be factual I received more than one such message each day. Each specific in nature and a timely message directed to my heart. I had to do some repenting, dying, refocusing, and deep reflecting. Those few days were well worth it.

I hope you will tune in over the next several days as I share these timely messages. They hit the mark for me and I am sure they will do the same for you the reader. I feel recharged and ready for the battles ahead. Tune in for tomorrow and the days ahead to a series of blogs titled: "Lessons Learned."

No comments:

Post a Comment