Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dedicate the Season to God

I stood before close to four dozen students last night with a blazing hot message on my heart. Dedicate the season to God. Things have not gone well around here at the start of this football season. The coaches feel the pressure which means their wives feel the pressure. The athletes feel the pressure, especially the seniors. I woke up with the phrase, "Dedicate the season to God," on my mind.

Using passages from [Jn 3:30] [I Cor 10:31] [Col 3:17] and [Ps 133:1] I shared a message about living and playing for the glory of God as the chief purpose. I witnessed dozens of teenagers fall to their knees  in repentance and in an act of surrendering their lives and teams to the Lord. I challenged them to get united in playing for the glory of God alone.

Those students have the influence to change the culture on Tuesday and Friday nights. They were challenged to play for something bigger than themselves. Bigger than school spirit. They were challenged to dedicate their seasons to God and to leave the results up to Him. When God is the big deal nobody is a superstar. They are a team. Everybody has a role and when every member trusts God to strengthen them so they can play to glorify His name great things are bound to happen.

At the end of the altar call the students gathered with their dance teams, junior high and varsity football and volleyball teams and band members to pray a prayer of dedication for the rest of the season and school year. What a beautiful sight. A group of junior high boys broke out after their prayer time with the chant, "Glory to God." That is what life is all about. Bringing more fame to the name of Jesus.

I am not talking about using Jesus as a good luck charm. He is way too wise and powerful to be manipulated that way. I am urging players, dancers, cheer leaders, and parents to think differently. Just as it is not all about your child or mine it is not about your school or mine. It is all about Jesus. I asked Jesus to enlarge the platforms of His followers so they can talk openly of Him. That is what this is all about.

I challenge adults to quit criticizing the coaches and to unite behind them and support of the team. Pray or them. Build them up. Stand united behind them. It is a beautiful thing when a community stands united. I challenge adults to quit focusing on the glory of your children and to challenge each child to play for something greater than themselves. I challenge the whole community to make the remainder of this season be about God getting the credit. With God's help nothing is impossible. I know a group of students who have already bought in. They are united in that purpose.

The culture is changing in Paradise. The changes may be small at this time but big doors swing on little hinges. Already I am hearing reports how popular students are reaching out and accepting students who are not so popular. Students are playing performing for a cause that matters into eternity. Everything is changing. There is not telling how great the remainder of this season and year will be when God gets all the credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment