Wednesday, September 12, 2012

For the Glory of Who's Name

We are in full swing of football. All the boys are playing. With the exception of Wednesday nights and Sundays we are practicing or playing games every other day or night.

While working out one of our administrators commented about what a good game one of the boys had. I had already prepared myself if anyone said something like that to me. I replied, "I give God all the credit." As much as I love football it is only a platform for my boys and my family to testify about God's greatness. God gets the glory in the Edwards household.

That is not the case with every player or every family. Many have lost the team concept in a me, my, and mine generation. Far too many parents think their children are superstars. Their child is the next latest, greatest, grandest thing to ever hit the field or the court. Parents want their child to excel so people will pat them on the back and brag on their child. This inflates the egos of many parents.

I contrast this with the attitude John the Baptist had about Himself. Read it for yourself in [John 3:30], "He must increase but I must decrease." It does not get any plainer than that. John wanted to make much out of Jesus while making less out of himself. This should be the attitude of every athlete, parent and follower of Jesus.

Let me give you as parents a reality check. In the state of Texas there are around one hundred seventy thousand high school campuses. Of all of those schools and all the athletes playing football only about 1:17 will go on to play football in the NCAA at any level. That breaks down to a little over 5%. Out of those who do get to play at the college level only 1.8% of them or 1:50 will be drafted to play in the NFL. Most likely your child might be a big fish in a little pond. They will be dwarfed when they get out in the ocean compared to others. In short less than 1% of high school athletes will play football at the professional level in the National Football League.

If you and your child play for your own glory it will not last. If you do not believe me take a stroll through the Finish Line Cafe in Paradise, TX. Look at all the past athletes with pictures on the walls living in their glory days. Many people have forgotten not only their accomplishments but also their names. Records will be broken. Others will outshine current players.

Play for something bigger. Play for the glory of God. [Col 3:17] Live to make much of His name. Play to make much of the name of Jesus. Ask God for a bigger platform so you can testify of God's greatness. He alone deserves the glory and all the fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment