Sunday, April 24, 2011

When God Shouts

There are times when God speaks in a still small voice and there are times when God shouts. For months it seems God has been shouting to me the same message over and over again. I am not talking about once or twice. I am talking about dozens and dozens of times. The message has been the same. “FOLLOW ME!”

I have read it in the scriptures, heard it in music, and one time even saw it on a church sign. God calls everyone to follow Him. The tricky part is to know where God is calling us to follow. I followed Him to Seminole. I followed Him in the Seminole CARES project. I am following Him to raise money for the hospital in Honduras. I am following Him in getting another book published.

Still this same resounding message pounds in my soul. I am seeking to follow God in a closer relationship. Prayer times have been sweeter and as of the last week the Lord is speaking through the book of Matthew. In fact He has been shouting so consistently through Matthew I am going to read the rest of the gospels and depart from my regular yearly reading through Jeremiah for the time being.

God has my attention and as I write this we are six days away from the revival services beginning again. Perhaps that is where God wants me to follow Him. Never in my twenty-eight years of being a Christian have I sensed the Lord speaking so strongly, consistently and clearly one message over and over again. It could not be clearer if the Lord shouted in my ears.

The Lord does that from time to time. When He wants to get our attention He does not always use a burning bush as He did with Moses. In fact, I do not know of another instance when the Lord used a burning bush. What I find Him doing today is using His word. There are times in our lives when certain themes keep surfacing. Could it be the Lord is trying to get our attention about a certain matter? There are times when the Lord will impress a burden on our heart and follow that burden with a timely message from His word.

God speaks most clearly and consistently for me in His word. I have gotten myself into a lot of trouble over the years thinking I heard Him speak something to me outside the Bible. There have been times when I got it right but it sadly there have been many more times when I was wrong.

If you want to hear from God and ever need God to shout to you, keep digging in the scriptures. Make time in the Bible a regular part of your daily life and you will not only hear God speak but on occasion you might hear him shouting a crystal clear message. Please keep shouting Lord for we are listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment