Sunday, April 16, 2017

Revival Meeting

Later this morning I am driving out of town to start preaching a revival meeting. Most would say they were going to preach a revival. I cannot say that because only God can produce true revival. Only He can breathe life into His people and make them come alive again. 

That is my prayer going into Spring Creek Baptist Church this morning. I have a special place in my heart for that church. I served as the youth minister there when Brenda and I first got married. We watched God miraculously grow our student ministry from seven to over forty. There were many who were saved. We look back on those days with fondness. 

Decades have passed. The church has spiraled downward in attendance. Brenda and I have also faced our share of adversity and are no longer wet behind the ears newlyweds. . God is allowing us to come together as a minister and a church body again for these revival meetings. It is my prayer God does more than just a few meetings. I have tasted real revival on three separate occasions in the past. I long for that again and especially for Spring Creek. 

I know the church has prayed. They have prepared themselves spiritually to receive from God. On my end I have prayed. I have sought the Lord for what He wants to say to His church. I have personally repented of sin. I am locked into what God desires to do for these next days. 

I recall the last real revival I was a part of. I have talked much about those 23 days when God visited FBC Seminole in a very special way. I gave myself e to prayer, sermon preparation, and preaching. I recently watched a video from one of those services and was moved to tears. The worship music stirred our souls. How God used Sherman and Tami Aten. I get to wrk with them again this week. God also used Sean Decker. I recall the unbridled joy we all felt when Jase Waller began many of those revival services baptizing people. God used the testimonies of several individuals during those days. Many responded in the invitations for salvation, rededication, and repentance of sin. I had forgotten many of the details of those revival meetings. I did not take those days for granted and I long to see God work that way again. 

Now I find myself praying, "Do it again Lord. Do it again." How I wish God would come fill those people with the weight of His presence and that old country sanctuary with His glory. We do not need more religious songs and more religious sermons. We desire nothing less than a fresh visitation from God. 

It is 3:41 a.m. I cannot sleep in anticipation of what God will do later this morning and week. All night I have tossed and turned. I have prayed and prayed. I am all in for these revival meetings. 

I do not have a bag of revival gimmicks. I know full well I cannot produce revival nor can I program it. Only God chooses to send revival. I have tasted the real thing. I know the difference between a revival meeting and the genuine thing. I want real revival. 

I nave said it many times. I have preached it many times. I have written it many times. REVIVAL IS COSTLY. 

Am I willing to pay the price in prayer and preaching for as long as God wants to pour out His Spirit? Am I willing to keep driving to Weahterford, TX for as many days as God chooses? Are the people of Spring Creek willing to rearrange their lives for weeks on end if God chooses to really show up in power? True revival does not come cheap. I pray we are all willing to pray the price. 

I long for more than just revival meetings. I long for a fresh out pouring of the Spirit, power, refreshing, and cleansing work of God. I bow in submission to His will. I bow in submission to His heart and desire for the flock at Spring Creek. May His will be done in these revival meetings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment