Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Perfect Peace

While in the preparation room for surgery I had plenty of time to pray and to meditate yesterday. Once all the preparations were made and my sermon delivered to whomever would listen I had a long time alone. They did not let Brenda come back with me.

Other patients waiting for surgery slept. I was not sleepy. I thought and prayed about many things. Then it dawned on me. I was not anxious about the surgery in the least. I would have preferred not to have had it but I was not nervous. I had perfect peace. I had no stress. No fear. Inside I felt perfectly calm.

I know Brenda prayed. A handful of others prayed who knew I would have surgery. It is possible to go through stressful situations without the stress and in perfect peace. You choose to turn those matters over to the Lord in prayer. That is what we are instructed to do.

Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV)
6  do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Jesus offers His peace to stand guard over our heart and mind like a soldier keeping watch at his post. Each time worry, anxiety, and stress come knocking, peace turns them away as we pray. We are to pray about everything. The peace that God offers is perfect. It is not a fleeting peace the world searches for in vain through self help techniques.

I woke up in peace yesterday morning. I drove to the hospital in peace. I went to the surgery preparation room in peace. After the surgery, though in a little discomfort and groggy, I still had peace. That peace remains today.

Whatever trials you face you can face them with a peace that surpasses understanding. I have experienced it. I have also seen it in others. Like people battling terminal disease. Like people knowing death was near but not fearing. Like people facing the worst economic conditions. Like the abused who found Jesus sufficient. Like the multiple stories I have read of martyrs who often died violently  but with peace. I thank God for that precious gift of perfect peace.

In a frantic, chaotic, and stressful world I am thankful we can draw near to Jesus and experience perfect calmness. Though hurricane circumstances howl around us there is a refuge where peace stands watch. In Jesus it is like being in the eye of the storm. There is a calm center. There is rest. There is tranquility. That is something our world could use much of today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment