Monday, November 21, 2016

A Day At Lake Arlington

When I drove on the campus of Lake Arlington Baptist Church this past Sunday morning I felt a little intimidated. Lake Arlington hosts a massive campus on twenty-seven acres in Arlington, TX. I felt like a fish out of water.

They wanted me to preach a one day message. They also wanted me to put together a power point with my sermon notes. Embarrassed I had to confess I had never used one before and did not even know how to create one. I preach and teach to small crowds. Lake Arlington has well over a thousand people in worship weekly. They have anointed and gifted musicians and vocalists. They have state of the art facilities. Everything they do is with excellence.

I admit I was nervous going in. I tried not to show it but I kept thinking to myself, "What in the world is a small town boy from east Texas doing preaching in a place like this? Only God could orchestrate this." I had been invited to preach on the subject of generosity. When the pastor called me the Lord inspired a message in my heart for them. I was nervous. I did not feel like I belonged in such a prestigious place.

I preached from I Kings 17 on the subject of faith, obedience, the faithful provision of God, and that being generous sometimes requires sacrifice. I told many of the stories from my faith. journey. Those Lake Arlington people were a delight to fellowship with around God's word.

Afterward, they showered me with encouragement and kind expressions of love. What a gracious, generous, and loving fellowship of believers.

Though intimidated by the sheer size of the congregation, they made me feel welcome. They engaged in worship and in the study of God's word. What a blessing to meet so many of those people and their pastor Dr. Eric Herrstrom. The Lord has allowed me to preach in many places and among many people around our nation. I have not met a people more loving and generous than those I had the privilege to worship with this past Sunday at Lake Arlington Baptist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment