Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Don't Take Things for Granted

I met her at a doctor's appointment. Her name was Janice. Her bracelet caught my attention. I read the words "Yes - No - Wait." I immediately thought about how those words relate to prayer. So, I asked her what the bracelet meant. As she turned the bracelet over she showed that when she prayed God listened and answered yes, no, or wait.

At this point she unloaded her heavy laden heart onto Brenda and I. Last year her son was shot. She did not go into details. He remained in the hospital for months and the doctors said he would never walk again. She prayed and prayed and God answered, "yes." Today her son is walking.

A few months after her son was shot her 44 year hold husband had a massive heart attack requiring a triple by-pass surgery. While he recovered he lost his job and is unable to work. He has filed for disability but it has not been awarded yet. The financial set backs mounted.

Janice praised God she still has her job. Due to financial losses they lost their cars and their home. Janice rides to work on a bus. Her family lives in a hotel. God's answer to all her prayers for those situations has been to "wait." She presses on in faith.

One of the last things she said before ushering us to the next room stuck with me. She commented, "Don't take anything for granted!" I assured her I would pray for her and I ask you to do the same.

Don't take things for granted. I have taken my health for granted for years. Not anymore. I have taken places in ministry for granted until God called me to move to a new field of service. I have taken people for granted. I thought we had years together to love, to serve, and to build more memories until we were separated. I have taken my wife and kids for granted. I have taken meals for granted andshelter for granted. I have taken for granted the ability to walk, see, hear, taste, smell, talk, preach, teach, and to write. I have taken my education and books for granted.

I am thankful for a sermon preached louder to me today than most I have ever heard. Janice has a tough row in front of her. She did not whine. She did not complain. Her testimony displayed a quiet confidence in God who has seen her through tough times in the past. She is grateful for another day with her son. She is grateful for every step he is able to take. She is thankful for more time with her husband. She is thankful for a good job. She personified contentment in all circumstances. [Phil 4;11-13]

Janice inspires me to be more for God. We all have blessings in our lives we take for granted. We take prayer for granted. What a blessing to unload our concerns onto the Lord. We take the fragile gift of life  for granted even though James tells us that life is like a vapor here today and gone tomorrow. I do not want to take this precious gift or those I get to share it with for granted. Thanks Janice. Message heard loud and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment