Sunday, June 9, 2013

Stormy Sunday Morning

Yesterday was a beautiful day. The skies were blue and the breezes were mild giving some relief from the heat of the day. The boys and I spent the day working outside while Brenda enjoyed some much needed time away for the weekend with some high school friends.

I awoke around 3:00 a.m. startled by a loud clap of thunder. Not long afterward I awoke again to the sound of torrential rain. The rain fell heavily for some time and when I awoke this morning it was still drizzling.

Isn't that just like life. One day things are going great and suddenly and unexpectedly the storms come and the floods come. They pound against us. I have seen it happen to young and old, poor and rich, obscure and the famous, as well as the lost and the saved.

In life it is not a matter if storms are going to come; it is a matter of when and how intense they will be. Granted certain people seem to go through more storms than others. Some storms are worse than others like the death of a child or spouse.

Jesus addressed this subject in [Matt 7:24-28]. The key to the story is verse 24. Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and acts upon them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house upon the rock. In the next verse the rains descended, the floods came, and the winds blew against the house but it did not fall.

What rains are blowing against the house of your life today? What floods are slamming against you today? What winds are howling and pressing against you today? For many of us the answers would vary. Identifying the storms in our lives is not the point this morning. The point is are you hearing the words of God and acting upon them?

Later this morning many of you will attend some type of worship service. Christians will gather to sing songs of worship and to hear a sermon of some kind. Here is the point. Will you really hear? I am currently preaching through the book of James. It is not irony that on the weekend our high school seniors graduated the morning text from James is about wisdom from God and earthly wisdom. Will they listen intelligently. Then will they act upon what they hear?

Throngs of people will hear sermons today. Some will do so glassy eyed lost in their own thoughts. Others will listen sleepily trying to stay awake and endure to the end. A few with listen attentively and intelligently. Fewer will take all they hear and apply those truths to the way they live. This is building your life on a firm foundation.

As I sit writing this the winds are still blowing gustily though the rain has tapered off. The skies are overcast. I never saw this coming yesterday. We have been blessed with steady rain this spring. I am not overly concerned with the storms that have blown through this morning or that continue to blow through in the form of trials. It is well with my soul because my soul is anchored in God and his word. I have peace. It is a peace that comes from walking with God and receiving his instructions.

I have no control over the future. Storms will come and storms will pass. What I do have control over is the foundation of my life and family. As we seek to hear and to act upon what we hear we are able to press on. We are able to produce fruit. We are able to overcome.

On this stormy Sunday morning I hope you will listen to your minister or read the word of God for yourself. I hope you will act on what you hear or read. I trust if this becomes your habit your life will be sturdy regardless of what storms come your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment