Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Overcoming

I spent a good portion of yesterday watching Tanner play in a golf tournament in Witchita Falls. Depending on how you choose to look at things Tanner had a bad day and a good day all wrapped up into one. He has not played golf since the end of golf season back in early May. He loves to play but, as we all know, golf is not a cheap sport and therefore does not fall in the line of necessities in our home often.

His lack of playing showed early. He became more and more frustrated as golf shots went wayward. When you also take into account the temperatures were near 100 it was not a fun day. Things hit a low when in the span of two holes he lost half a dozen balls in the same patch of tall grass. For the day I think he lost close to a dozen balls. I wish we could keep score that way.

He was frustrated and I could tell near giving up. He walked with his head down and shoulder slumped. This was taking place on hole five and six. He had a long way to go to finish. This did not set well with me since I had given up my whole day to support him. I walked hole to hole to him on the front nine. My feet and back hurt but my heart hurt more for him. I know he wanted to give up. That was the last thing on my mind. I wanted him to get mentally tough and finish. He wanted to give up and walk away.

He didn't. He battled through the disappointment. On the back nine he mixed in some really good shots along with some misplaced ones. He landed several shots on the green with precision. He began to drive the ball extremely well. He finished strong. He overcame.

What makes me more proud is that he chose to go workout with his brothers that evening. Again he overcame. He did not just show up to work out. He worked hard. I told him repeatedly how proud I was of him.

Now we can all learn something from Tanner. I know there are days and seasons in life when it seems like everything is against you. There are times when quitting seems more attractive than finishing, when  leaving looks more appealing than staying, and when thoughts of giving in dominate more than standing firm.

Overcoming means to get the better in a struggle, to prevail over, and to gain the victory. You do not overcome by quitting. Overcoming is not easy. Often there are battles of the mind. There are obstacles to overcome and there is opposition to withstand. The fight can be fierce which often means wounding. Wounding of the psyche. Wounding of the heart. There can also be the wounding of weariness from the strain.

Overcoming starts in the thoughts. When I'm pushed to the limits in a workout, in a challenge, or in life overcoming starts with me in what I set my mind on. When I dwell on the difficulties and not the solutions I often crater. When I set my mind on God and the fact that He is working all around me, new faith is summoned to overcome. God grants the resolve to overcome.

We all need that. Whether it be to overcome a challenging marriage, a horrible workplace situation, lack of finances, health issues, or delayed dreams; God helps us overcome. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us." [Rom 8:37,39]

We do not overcome by our will, resolve, and determination alone. We overcome through leaning on Jesus and constantly remembering that He loves us. In that love, He will test us from time to time. The faith we grow as we lean on and trust in Him becomes an enduring faith. This kind of faith helps overcome obstacles, opposition, and oppression.

Tanner, thanks for reminding all of us to lean on God and to overcome. What looks impossible today looks manageable on the other side as we learn to overcome. Don't throw in the towel yet. Victory is for those who battle in God's strength and determination not to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment