Friday, December 9, 2016

21

I was visting a church member who had just undergone surgery at the hospital. Before being released the patient had to walk 20 laps around the floor of hospital. Up and down the hall I could see several patients doing their laps with their I/V stand in tow and tubes.

I decided to take a stroll with our member. Each step painful. Slow and methodical steps up and down the long corridors. I was proud of the patient. At first they could only do one lap. Before being released they were doing sexts of three.

What made me the most proud was the moment this determined  soul decided to do more than was asked and completed a twenty first lap. What an inspiration. I am sure the twenty first lap was not comfortable. I am confident the path of least resistance would have been to go get back in the bed like I saw another patient do after just walking two laps.

What if we all had the mentality to do more than was asked of us. To go the extra lap or the extra mile. What if we were all willing to push ourselves beyond what is comfortable or what is easy. It is so easy to take the path of least resistance.

After that visit in the hospital I left inspired. Inspired to overachieve. To do the extra lap. The twenty first lap. To work a little harder. To labor a little longer. To overachieve.


No comments:

Post a Comment