Sunday, October 30, 2016

Lakeside Chat

It was an unusual request. My friend wanted to meet me. What made the request so unusual is that he wanted me to meet me at a picnic area right off shore of Lake Brideport. That location is barely a mile from my front door so I opted to walk to our meeting.

It was a blustery day with a cool front blowing in. The wind against my face felt good. The ever so slight chill in the air hinted to the changing of seasons and the coming on of wintry weather around the corner. I walked and prayed. I had many things to pray about. The praying made the walk go by quicker.

When I arrived at the lake the water was choppy with whitecaps. This happens each year when the winds turn from the north. The lake gets rough with the whitecaps waves. Where we sat the wind blew right into my face. I sat facing the lake. My friend sat opposite me. We talked for the better part of an hour. My friend is a great listener. He also has a great deal of wisdom. Even though he requested the meeting I would say he did more listening than talking. In hindsight I think maybe he just wanted us to spend some time together. I thought he had something on his mind. I asked. I waited for Him to tell me why he requested the meting. He never gave his reason.

While the clouds were a little overcast it was still a great day. The little nip in the air made the weather refreshing from the unseasonably warm temperatures we have endured during the month of October. Like so often happens when you spend time with people you love and enjoy the time passed too quickly. Though our time together was enjoyable it did not last near long enough.

If you had driven up and seen me at my meeting I wonder what you would have thought. You see my friend though present was invisible. My lakeside chat happened with Jesus. A scene that has repeated itself several times over the past couple of weeks. Just Jesus and me sitting at a picnic table overlooking the lake. Me praying, seeking, and asking Him to speak to me. Me listening and craving His counsel. It reminds me of the words to an old hymn. "He walks with me and talks with me and tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there none other has ever known."

No comments:

Post a Comment