Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Following Even When Faith Leads to Risk

As evening approaches this Wednesday I am thinking about when I will gather with other believers at Faith Community Church to teach from I Samuel. I have been greatly challenged by this book week after week as we have studied it. Tonight I am challenged by how often I want to play it safe when God wants me to risk. My tendency is to fade back to comfort and security when God pushes me toward courageous and audacious faith moments. 
I do not want to play it safe for the rest of my life. As I get older and my body gets more feeble, I want to keep getting stronger in my faith. I ask God for a willingness to follow Jesus even when it is risky and the outcome not certain. 
I've made living by faith my life for the past 25 years. Only the Lord knows my heart and mind when I want to shrink back to a comfortable life. There is no indication I am to stop the faith lifenow. Brenda and I were hit with a true test of faith today. I had peace and offered this prayer, ",Lord, You have never failed us. Not even one time. I know someway and somehow You will come through for us again."
Risk might mean witnessing to a stranger. It might involve giving away money or possessions. It might mean getting in my truck with only $2.25 in my pocket and heading out to preach anyway. It might mean remaining faithful at my post when I feel like giving up. It might mean loving someone others do not take the time to love. 
I am not advocating stepping out and doing something foolish asking God to bless it. I am referring to those moments when God commands you to come or to go and you step out in obedience and trust not knowing how things will turn out. It means standing on Bible promises when everything you see and feel tells you they are not true. 
Being willing to risk my might mean worshiping in a way others do not understand or following through on something God instructs even when those closest to you do not get it. Being willing to risk is not throwing caution to the wind. It is trusting God more than you fear the worst case scenario. 
I am greatly challenged by God's word. I play it safe too often. I like the comfort of my recliner more than out on the limb in faith. I face security when I have excess funds in the bank more than in God's promise to be my provider when the funds run dry. I like when the crowds are large as I teach and preach and struggle to keep believing when the crowds dwindle. God is still in the midst when two or three gather. 
Tonight, as I have done many times in my life I choose the path of faith. I choose the path that might lead to risk. I choose the path of obeying God no matter what it means, where it leads, or what it costs. That is what I choose in this moment. I will have to make that choice tomorrow and for all of my tomorrows if I want to remain available to my King Jesus. If I am not willing to do that and to keep doing that for all of my days I am not really a follower of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment