Monday, November 10, 2014

Do We Love God Most?

Do I love God most? I know I love God. I also love Brenda, Taylor, Tanner, Tucker, and Turner? Do I love God more than them? Do I love God more than my most trusted friends who have fought the fight of faith right along side me?
I love serving God, ministering, and I love preaching. Do I love God more than preaching? Do I love Him more than food? Do I love God more than my earthly comfort? Do I love Him more than America and the pursuit of the American dream? Do I love Him most?
[Matt 22:36-38] challenges me. It is not good enough that I love the Lord. He desires more than that. He desires me to love Him most. "'Teacher which commandment in the law is greatest?' He said to him, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and most important commandment.'" 
Do I really believe that. Loving God most is the most important commandment. More important than Jesus' admonition to "Follow Me." More important than the great commission to go into all the world making disciples. More important than anything else we do. 
Yet, for most of us, we fall very short. We love God but make little time to be alone with Him. We love enough to do for Him but not enough to sit with Him. We promote people to powerful positions in church who do not love God most. Churches call pastors, youth pastors, and worship pastors to lead their congregations who do not love God most. People take all manner of leadership positions in their churches who do not love God most. 
Parents love their children often more than they love God. Sadly, there are some people who love their pets more than they love God. Others love money the most in their lives. This coming season many children of the world will have more love in their heart for Santa Claus than they do for their God. 
I am challenged today. That little questions bites into my soul. DO I REALLY LOVE GOD THE MOST OF EVERYONE OR ANYTHING IN MY LIFE? I am not so quick to answer. As go down the list of people and things in my life there is no comparison. He deserves to be loved the most. But do I? Do I truly love Him not for what He can give me, do for me, or work through me. Do I love Him most just for who He is? 
It is simple. We are all called to love God most. That means He is to get our deepest affection, our greatest passion, our greatest meditations, and our most sincerest devotion. God help us all to love You most.

No comments:

Post a Comment