Monday, October 15, 2012

Battle for the Mind

Every day there is a battle for control of our minds. What thoughts dominate lately? Are they Christ honoring and exalting? Are they thoughts of faith? Do your thoughts sink into the slime of doubt and the disgusting? Do you dwell on things that discourage and depress you?

What you think upon and dwell upon can have great impact on how you feel and how you live. We are told to take every thought captive in [II Cor 10:5] as well as to destroy speculations that raise theirselves against the knowledge of God. Paul exhorts us in [Col 3:2] "Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."

That takes discipline. Our minds are bombarded with thousands of thoughts a day. We have to be careful what we allow our minds to dwell on. If I dwell on the fact I do not feel good all day sure enough I can think myself into not feeling good. If I dwell on sin sooner or later I most likely will act out that sinful behavior. On the other hand if I dwell on scripture that truth will dominate my thinking. If I fill my mind with truth then truth will rule out throughout the day. How do we fill our minds with truth.

Simple. [Ps 119:15-16] "I will meditate on your precepts and regard your ways. I shall in your statutes; I will not forget your word." [Ps 119:18] Open my eyes that I may behold wonderful things from your law." [Ps 119:9,11] "How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to your word. Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against you."

The battle will never let up. Our weapons are scripture, prayer, and the discipline of taking our thoughts  captive and choosing intentionally what we dwell on and what we dismiss. Dwell on the things that are above and not those things that are on earth. Fill your mind with the truth of God's word. Dwell on those truths. If you do you will find God winning the battle of your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment