Thursday, February 23, 2012

Risk and Reward

Then Peter said, "Look we have left what we had and followed You." So He said to them, "I assure you: there is no one who has left a house, wife or brothers, parents or children because of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more at this time, and eternal life in the age to come." [Luke 18:28-30]

Can't you hear Peter really asking Jesus if the reward for following Him was worth the risk and the sacrifice. The truth is many have asked that same question throughout the ages. Following Jesus often comes with a price. Like Peter we can question whether the reward of being a disciple of Christ is really worth it.

Missionaries gave up the comforts of home, left parents behind along with financial security to take the gospel to far ends of the earth. I immediately think of William Carey and Hudson Taylor. Both dealt with the death of their wives while serving on the mission field. If you were to ask them if the rewards for following Christ were worth the risks and the sacrifice I am confident they would give a resounding yes.

We have conditioned our minds to believe that God never calls people to risky ventures or to really sacrifice. This simply does not square with the Bible. Many Christians insulate themselves from following Jesus because they cannot believe God would ever call them away from comfort and a life of security.

Jesus still calls people to follow Him to far away lands and to kingdom assignments where the American dream is laid aside for the greater dream of advancing the kingdom of God. When faced with such a choice the subtle thought arises, "What is in it for me? If I give up everything what do I get in return?" Make no mistake many people serve God with that kind of mentality.

The reward of eternal life far outweighs any sacrifice a child of God will ever make. One second in Heaven and we will all say, "It was worth all the hardships, trials, adversity, and sacrifice a thousand times over!" Think of it. For all of eternity we get to enjoy, know, and worship Jesus. Our minds cannot conceive what we will experience not for a few moments but forever. It is beyond our comprehension. We can only imagine what will it will be like but even in our imaginations we will never come close.

There is another reward for the child of God willing to follow Jesus with reckless abandon. Have you ever put your all into something. Maybe it was studying for a test, writing a research paper, playing a sport, mowing the yard, completing an assignment at work, or finishing a work out. You know that feeling of joyful satisfaction when you know you gave your best. When you fully committed  yourself and you were all in you walk away with held high. You know you did hold back but fully vested yourself in a worthy endeavor.

I think many people will be shamed at the end of their lives because they held back from following Jesus fully. They bought into the lie that the rewards of security and comfort were the ultimate goals. These people build safety nets into their lives and can never say what Peter said, "We have left all we had to follow You Jesus."

At the time of this writing I can identify with Peter. We left a good and blessed life in Seminole to follow Jesus. Has the reward been worth the sacrifice. Absolutely. I am thinking of two men that trusted Christ as Savior in the past six months and have become my friends. One was the first person to be baptized at Faith Community Church and the other will be baptized in a couple of weeks. What greater reward is there than that? I have seen the reward of people who used to not have a church home now faithfully involved in Faith Community Church. I have seen the reward of those who had just about given up on the local church now experiencing true fellowship and life in this new congregation.

To be honest, I miss having my own home but in comparison to knowing I have fully obeyed the Lord in following Him and in what I will experience in eternity not having my own home is small thing. The greatest reward is Jesus Himself. He is my greatest treasure. He is the source of unending joy. He is our faithful provider. He is our good shepherd and giver of abundant life. Jesus is our all in all. NO SACRIFICE OR RISK I EVER GIVE OR MAKE COMPARES TO JESUS! He is worth it all.

So on this Thursday morning I recommit myself to following Him. I am all in. As much as I enjoyed past ministries and blessings I cannot afford to look behind me but must press on toward the goal of His high call on my life. I must press forward. Faith Community Church is a miracle church in the making. I know He called me to leave flocks I loved and still love in FBC Paradise and FBC Seminole. We also left a home, furniture, and church facilities. I have been blessed in following. Like the old song, "All I have needed His hand has provided."

When God calls you to follow Him, walk up to the edge of that call and take the next step. No matter how risky it looks or what great sacrifice that call requires of you step out anyway. Trust that the reward of following Jesus is worth the risk and the sacrifice. I am fully vested in Faith Community Church. There is no turning back. They have my heart and devotion. They have my love and service. They have my life and family. I will never forget the other churches and people I have served in the past. They will always be endeared to my heart. I have a new reward now in a band of followers of Jesus who are sacrificing to dream God's dream of Faith Community Church with Brenda and I. I love the courage, the faith, and the resolve of these people who have joined us. I am blessed and I will keep following for the reward is greater than the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment