Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Learning to Sing in the Desert

I have come to the realization I am an emotionally fragile person. The most difficult aspect of my walk with the Lord through the labyrinth of life is my emotional state of mind. The challenges of life and ministry act like a stump grinder to my faith continually wearing me down. I am prone toward melancholy when I look away from God and His word. I can be on top of things one day and crater the next day.

I am sure I am not the only one. I can rejoice after a great day at church and over a grand move of God in or around my life and then stumble over the snares of this world. How do I cope? How do I preach and teach when there are times when I stand in need of the preaching, teaching, and a fresh touch from God?

I only have one answer. I abide in the word of God. Day in and day out I read scripture trusting God for the nourishment of soul to help me through the day.

Today, I needed to get away. I packed a Bible, this computer, and a book and headed for the local library to clear my head, pour out my soul to the Lord, and to get refocused. After a season of prayer I asked God to speak. In my normal devotional readings I am reading through the last chapters of the gospel of John. I sensed the Lord had something to speak to me through the Psalms today. I flipped the pages of my Bible until I found Psalms and let my eyes fall to the first chapter I came across.

As only God can do He used His word to speak to me. Here is what I read this morning. "Let the righteous be glad; let them exult before God; yes, let them rejoice with gladness. Sing to God, sing praises to His name; lift up a song to Him who rides through the deserts, whose name is the Lord, and exult before Him." [Ps 63:3-4]

In the desert places of life where hope seems to sink like the setting sun God is still to be praised and exalted. In the wilderness experiences in life when you feel you have lost your way, everything seems confusing, and you cannot find your way out God is still praise worthy. If those desert experiences when you are dry and feel abandoned God is still the source of gladness.

At this very moment as I write and as you read this, God is riding over the desert times in our lives. He is present and accounted for. Our emotional state does not alter the fact God is in control. He is the source of gladness and rejoicing. He is here with me at this round table in the Decatur Public Library and He with you wherever you are. He is not only with us but also available to us.

I don't know what you are going through as you read this and you really do not know what desert I trudge through this hour either. I do know just knowing God rides through the deserts in our lives comforts me on two levels. First, I know we are not abandoned. We may be tempted to feel that way from time to time but God promised to never leave us or forsake us. He is with us in the tough times. He rides through the desert experiences with us. He does not turn His back and leave us in our time of need. God is here. God is concerned. God is in control.

The second comforting truth is that God rides through the deserts. Focus on the word through. There are beginning points to deserts and there are ending points to deserts. God sees us through to lush green pastures and beside the still waters. What you are up against will last for a season. Your situation is temporary. If you are saved follower of Jesus it is temporary in that all of life is temporary. Getting through this desert for the child of God means a better existence in eternity.

Our troubles are temporary. The financial crisis eventually ends. The flu runs it course. The demands of family eventually lessen as children grow and become more independent. Burdens get lifted and nights of weeping turn into mornings with joy.

For these two reasons I can sing in the deserts. I sing because I know God is with me. I sing because I know God will bring me through the desert and my desert experiences are temporary.

Reading and meditating on this scripture today brought me peace and gladness. I am learning to sing in the deserts of life. I admit there are times when gladness fades and despair descends like a heavy fog. While I write this the skies are overcast and a misty rain is falling. On the inside of my soul though,  God has used His word to break forth hope and gladness like the rising sun in the morning. On the inside I am singing like on a unclouded day.

The truth is nothing in my desert has changed. God is changing me and allowing me to sing in the desert because He is the source of my gladness and rejoicing. All this came as a result of reading my Bible. I am thankful for a journey to the library and a stroll through [Psalm 68:3-4] this morning. I am grateful for the lesson about learning to sing in the desert.

I am thinking of the song by Don Moen "God Will Make a Way." Sing with me. "God will make a way when there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see, He will make a way for me. He will be my guide; hold me closely to His side. With love and strength for each new day, God will make a way. God will make a way." Sing in your desert for God is with you and God will see you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment