Thursday, September 15, 2011

In God’s Classroom

School is in full swing for students. I ran into a student who came to school at 7:00 a.m. this morning to get some extra tutoring. Backpacks are stuffed with math books, English books, science books, and history books. Projects have been assigned and research papers are being written.

It has been nearly eighteen years since I sat in a formal classroom for instruction. That does not mean God has not been teaching me or that I have not ben enrolled in school. Some lessons it seems I have to learn over and over again. Others I seem to get the first time around.

God is the master teacher. There is always more to learn. There is more research to be done in the pages of scripture. There are lessons that are best learned through experience. Other lessons are learned through trials and suffering. God is teaching His children something all the time. Our minds are bombarded daily with lessons from the Lord and lessons from the world. The battle for the mind is long and arduous.

What is God teaching you these days? What kind of student are you? Which messages are influencing your life the most; God’s or the worlds? I want to be an eager student. Typically I found a seat near the back of the room during my formative education years. In God’s classroom I want a seat in front. My pen and paper are out and I am ready to take notes on whatever the lesson is for today. I want to devote myself to becoming a better and lifelong student in God’s classroom. Graduation comes only at death. Until then there is more to learn.

I do not crack open the Bible like a student assigned to read some novel from days gone by. They read dutifully but not always joyfully. I open the scriptures with joyful delight ready to behold wonderful things from His law. [Ps 119:18] I study the sacred text eagerly, devotedly, and painstakingly. His word is sweet to my soul. [Ps 119:103] God’s word helps me through the trials and afflictions. [Ps 119:92] Because I love learning in God’s classroom I have great peace. [Ps 119:165]

God, thank you for your classroom. Your saved ones have tuition paid and the Holy Spirit to teach and reveal truth to us. I pray for eager learners. I pray for disciplined disciples who are not afraid to study. I ask you to give us the mental, emotional, and spiritual capacities to learn all the lessons you intend for us. I pray none of us ever get to the place where we think we have arrived. Make us excited to enter your classroom as students are on the first day of school. I ask you to thrill our souls with knowledge of you that is too wonderful for us. [Ps 139:1-6]

Thank you for my formal education but I thank you even more for the education you give me day in and day out. I ask you to make us all life long learners. I ask you for attentive minds, an eager hearts, and determination to learn all you have for each of us. I want to live all my days as a student in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment