Sunday, December 19, 2010

Saturday Morning with Watchman Nee

I got up early this morning and came to the office while the rest of my family lounged around the house on a Saturday morning when, for a change, we had no commitments for the day. After settling into my chair I spent some time in prayer about ministry here in Seminole and other projects the Lord has called me to.

Later I opened my biography on the life of Watchman Nee and began to read. Earlier that morning I had wrestled in prayer about three specific things I need God’s provision for. I felt the temptation to make these needs known to people and to ask for their help in meeting each of them. As I read about Watchman Nee he adopted the same principle about financial matters that Hudson Taylor and George Mueller had adopted for themselves. They never asked people for provision but took their needs to God in prayer trusting Him to provide. Taylor did this for providing for the China Inland Mission and for provision for hundreds of missionaries. Mueller trusted God to house, clothe, and feed thousands of orphans. God proved faithful to both over the course of decades of ministry.

Watchman Nee faced a crisis not long after adopting this principle for his life. He had been asked to preach in a town far away that would require a lengthy boat ride. Normally the boat ride cost $40 and he had only $15. He felt prompted to give $5 of that money away to a co-worker. He did not understand why and questioned God about is leading him give away $5 when he already did not have enough for his trip.

In a step of faith Watchman found the co-worker and gave him the money only saying he would know why at some point. In another step of faith Watchman made his way to the boat with $10 asking God for a miracle. To his amazement a captain of a boat approached Watchman saying, “I only have one spot left on the boat near the stern. I will give it to you for any amount say, $7, and you provide all your own food on the journey.” Watchman jumped at the opportunity rejoicing in God’s faithfulness.

Watchman preached for several days in the city and as it became time to go back home he realized he again did not have money for the boat ride for the return trip. The night before he was scheduled to leave he received an invitation to eat in one of the church member’s home. The man, who had been deeply touched by Nee’s ministry, offered to pay all his traveling expenses for his trip. Instead of Nee accepting the generous offer he found himself rejecting the man’s generosity saying that someone else had made financial arrangements for this travel expense. Of course, Watchman referred in faith to God taking care of this. He left the man’s home confused as to whether God had prompted him to refuse the man’s offer of provision or whether it had been his own pride that had done so.

As Nee made his way to the port he did so pleading with God to help. Before he ever reached the ship a man came running up with a letter. The letter came from the man who had offered to pay for Nee’s travel expenses. In the letter the man wrote that even though someone else had made provision for travel expenses he felt he had to make some contribution to Nee’s ministry. Inside the letter Nee found all the provision he needed for the trip back home. Again he rejoiced over God’s faithfulness.

When he returned home Nee found the co-worker’s wife to whom he had given the $5 to before his trip waiting on him. She filled in the rest of the story behind the $5 gift. Their family had no money. She had prayed for God to provide for them or they would have suffered hunger. Her husband had gone out for a walk to pray for God’s help. It was at that point Nee had given her husband the money. They had lived on that money for the past week while Nee had been away preaching. If Nee had not been obedient her family would literally have had nothing to eat that week.

As I closed my book, I knew it had not been coincidence I had just prayed about three financial matters and been tempted to stand before the church to ask for help. I know God used Watchman Nee to remind me that God owns everything on the face of this earth. [Ps 24:1] God has also promised to be my provider no matter how small or large the need. [Phil 4:19] [Matt 7:7-8] So I take my needs to God and know of His faithfulness to provide for all of His children like He did for Hudson Taylor, George Mueller, and Watchman Nee. I can tell God alone and trust Him to do the rest. He knows my name, my situation, and the needs he has called me to trust Him for. He is perfectly able to get His provision into my hands.

What if we all trusted God to do this? What if we operated as believers and churches this way? I know this is a foreign concept. I still believe it is a biblical principle. Why do I say this? I say it from conviction. Earlier this week, I saw God move someone to give to two of those needs without my ever asking. I simply prayed and left my requests with the Lord. God did the rest and will continue to do the rest until it is done.

I am grateful for a Saturday morning with Watchman Nee. Though he has been dead for over a couple of decades now, God still spoke through Him and his life. I pray one day someone may hear similar stories about my life and be inspired to trust God for His miracle provision. All of this is for God’s glory. When he comes through He gets bragged on. I live to brag on God answering prayer. O dear people do not forget, “for we walk by faith, not by sight.” [II Cor 5:7]

No comments:

Post a Comment