Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Surprise Attack

I am ashamed to say it had been a long time but I finally pulled out the blue blazer for a spin around Seminole before Wednesday night church a few days ago. The weather proved perfect. Mild temperatures and no wind made for a beautiful day to ride the old bike and get the heart rate up.

I mounted the saddle and turned right out of my driveway spinning easy toward the stop sign. From there I turned left to pass through the residential area I live in where I could get out on the open road and open up.

When I turned right again where nothing lay before me but straight dark pavement as far as the eye could see I shifted gears and began picking up the pace. I found a comfortable cadence in pedaling and ducking my head getting down to business. The wind blowing against my cheeks felt good. Being out on the open road calmed my soul and cleared my mind.

After riding for about ten minutes, I began to commune with the Lord. I had just really tuned into Him when suddenly I found myself under attack. A vicious and angry dog had run up behind me and wanted a nice size chunk out of my ankles. I fought him off by shouting at him and slowing down scanning behind to see which direction he was coming from. Eventually he backed off and lost interest but not before nearly getting to bite me.

To say my heart rate jumped significantly in those moments would be an understatement. I continued my ride and eventually found peace again. In those moments I began reflecting on the dog’s attack. He caught me totally unprepared. I never saw or heard him coming until the very last minute and that proved nearly too late.

Satan comes like that as well. He is like a sniper with his demon hoards hiding prepared to ambush us when we are vulnerable. Like when we are exhausted. He also likes to come right after we have won significant spiritual victories. In those moments we take a sigh of relief and prepare to let our guard down. Those are the moments when he attacks.

After the Shake the City revival I experienced both. We won many victories and exhaustion overcame me physically, spiritually, and emotionally. Twenty-three straight days of preaching and battling in prayer took a toll on me. I became easy prey for the enemy for nearly two months. I felt lethargic. Devotions did not recharge me. I felt numb. Nothing moved me. I had no desire to think deep thoughts and absolutely no desire to write. This marks only the fourth time I have written a blog since the end of August. There have been no fresh thoughts, no books, and no ministry through writing. The truth is I had nothing left to give and nothing to say. The enemy’s attack on me went unnoticed for the longest time. Eventually the Lord showed me what had been going on. The journey back to health spiritually, physically, and emotionally did not happen overnight. As I write this I can say God is bringing me back. The enemy is exposed and I am much more prepared for the fight.

There is more to my riding story. After riding down to a dead end I turned to head back home. I knew I would have to pass the house where that dog lives. This time I had a plan. As I began approaching the house I built my speed while scanning the field around the house. It did not take long before I spotted him. He came running like someone had scalded him with hot grease and took aim straight for me. I pedaled faster and faster and he ran faster and faster with teeth showing. As he drew nearer I began to taunt him to try to catch me. He could not keep up with the blue blazer. We hit speeds close to thirty miles an hour. The dog stayed hot on my trail for a while before realizing he could not catch me. I cannot tell you the joy I experienced thinking of that dog having to turn around and trot the long way back home.

We must have a strategy to defeat the enemy. Paul’s strategy is found in [Eph 6:10-18]. Let me ask you a question. When you leave the house each morning do you leave prepared for battle or for a church picnic. Let me illustrate. If I leave my house heading for a church picnic I do so nonchalantly. I look forward to enjoying family and friends along with good food. If I open my door thinking snipers are hidden with one agenda and that is to take me out I walk out my door with a different mind set and geared for battle. I am more cautious, more alert, and more prepared for surprise attacks.

Like it or not we are in a spiritual battle. Our enemy loves to spring surprise attacks on us. He loves to marshal his forces against us when we least expect it or when we are most distracted with other concerns. We have to train ourselves to live with a war like mentality. We must live expecting that our enemy is going to attack and he will do it relentlessly. Therefore we must put on the armor, arm ourselves with God’s word and fight the good fight.

Everything changes in times of war. Our priorities change. Our mentality change. Our financial interests change. While our adversary has declared war and works day and night to oppose God and His children all over the world, the church has gone to sleep. We only have two weapons to fight. God’s word, which is the sword of the Spirit, and prayer. That’s it.

Does it surprise you that these are two of the weakest areas in many believer’s lives. It is like sending a soldier out to the front lines with no weapons. The solider becomes a sitting duck. Many Christians are sitting ducks and are defeated over and over again.

I am grateful to the Lord for my surprise attack and the reminder it brought to my mind. It is time to be on the alert. Why, “Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren in the world.” [I Pet 5:8-9] Paul gives similar advice in [Eph 6:10-11] “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.” The devil will continue to attack but we can be ready and resist him firmly. “Resist the devil and he must flee.” [James 4:7b]

No comments:

Post a Comment