Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Offering My Boys

While reading in the book of Genesis this morning I read chapter twenty-two where the Lord commands Abraham to sacrifice his long awaited and much beloved Isaac in a burnt sacrifice. Abraham did not hesitate to obey and eventually the Lord stayed in his hand before he plunged the knife into Isaac’s flesh. Does this mean Abraham did not love Isaac?

The truth is Abraham loved his son immensely. The greater truth is he loved and trusted God more. In fact, we get some insight into what Abraham was thinking as he bound his son, laid him on the wood, and gripped the knife to offer Isaac to God. We read in [Heb 11:17-19] “By faith, Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son; it was he to whom it was said, ‘In Isaac your descendants shall be called.’ He considered that God is able to raise people even from the dead from which he also received him back as a type.”

This is beautiful picture of exactly what God did in offering His only begotten Son except he did not stay the executioner’s hands but allowed the nails to be driven in and watched as His beloved Son hung and die on the cross. Abraham believed God would keep His promise concerning Isaac by resurrecting him. God did resurrect His Son Jesus. Both know the sweet and bitter truth of offering your children for Gods’ purposes.

After I finished reading I began praying for each of my boys by name. I do not know what future God has for them. I do not know the plans and calls God will put on each of them. I do see certain areas they seem to be bent toward. I do see areas they are inclined toward. I want to encourage those areas. Three love sports. One loves music and sports. I do not know how the Lord will use them but, as I did on the day of their births, I laid those boys before the Lord and offered them to Him again this morning. I have given them back to God to use as He pleases. My role is to pray for them and steer them continually toward the Lord trusting He will make His will known to each of them.

He will direct them where to go to college, who to marry, what profession to pursue and where to live. My heart soared as I thought of each of my boys excelling in some profession. My heart also sorrowed as I also thought of each of my boys leaving home. As much as Brenda and I would love to have our kids live around us all of their lives we realize that is improbable. Not impossible but the odds are against us. That is part of offering the boys back to God.

What if God calls them to colleges far from Seminole or even out of state? What if God’s call on their lives leads them to some profession that calls them to move out of the country? The truth is I would hate that. I love those boys. Just yesterday Turner and I enjoyed eating lunch together. I dropped him off at school early but instead of rushing back to the office I parked outside the playground and waited for him to come outside to recess with his friends. He never knew I was there but I thanked God for that special little boy as I watched him.

Later in the day I picked up Tanner from football practice and he and I attended a choir concert later that night. I cherished those moments with him. Before I went to the concert I dropped Tanner off at the house and went to watch the remainder of Taylor’s football practice. I enjoyed the brief time we had together and getting to visit on the ride home. Tucker and I are already making plans to have lunch later on in the week. My life is devoted to serving God and loving my family. The boys are growing up way too fast. In my office I have a picture I love. I am on the floor in our living room back in East Texas. Taylor is lying next to me holding Tucker’s hand, who is on my back with his blanket and sucking his thumb. Tanner has his head nestled on top of my head with a big grin. Turner had not been born yet or he would have been there too.

From time to time I still get on the floor and it does not take long for Turner to make a beeline for my back. Tucker is usually in hot pursuit and Tanner often climbs down from the couch to cozy up next to me. From time to time even Taylor makes his way next to me. These are sweet memories. No father ever loved his boys more than me. Millions have loved their boys equal to me but not more.

Still when all is said and done I love God more than my boys. I joyfully and willfully offer them to Him. Many years ago I wrote a mission or vision statement for my boys. “My boys exist to glorify God by being warrior poets who give their lives to the king and for the kingdom.” So on this autumn West Texas morning I offered my boys to God. I release my grip on their lives and will spend my days encouraging them to listen to and to follow God no matter what. There are no conditions or strings attached. The Edwards boys belong to God.

Time will tell what He does with them. From time to time I may have to brush away a tear from eye as I watch them leave home to obey the Lord. I already get misty-eyed thinking about that day. At least for now God has allowed me to enjoy them. That is exactly what I hope to do. I want to enjoy them. I know there will be memories made once they grow up and start families of their own. It will never be the same again. I will never be able to crawl on the floor and they flock to me like they do now. They were God’s before they were mine and prayerfully I offer them back to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment