Saturday, October 30, 2010

Prayers of Incense

Today we took a few of our senior adults on a trip to see a replica of the Old Testament Tabernacle. Before taking the self-guided tour with headphones to give vital information at each station, we read a pamphlet spelling out the history of the tabernacle.

During the first station we took a symbolic piece of white cloth representing the priestly garments worn by the Levites in entering the tabernacle signifying purity. The next area called for us offering a burnt sacrifice to the Lord. We threw small pieces of wood into the fire as our sacrificial sin offering to the Lord. Next, we washed our hands before actually entering the tabernacle.

Once inside we moved to lighted candles reminding me of Jesus being the Light of the World. We then moved to an area where we partook of the Lord’s Supper. Next, we stood before an area where fragrant incense wafted to the Lord. Before entering the holy of holies behind the veiled curtain, we took a rod of incense with us symbolic of our prayers and intercessions lifted to the Lord.

As we stood silently, reverently, and solemnly in the holy of holies before the Ark of the Covenant I worshipped. The thing that moved me most was watching the smoke rise from the rod in my hand and smelling the fragrant aroma thinking of the prayers of God’s people. I thought of my prayers offered day after day, some in worship and some in intercession. I thought of the private petitions ascending before the throne of God like the incense rising from my rod. I cannot tell you how deeply this experience moved me.

My prayer life is extremely important to me. Right now I am enjoying the presence of God privately but for some time I have not experienced it corporately. I am grateful for that beautiful picture as we stood in the holy of holies. That one experience with the Lord was worth the whole trip.

The incense of prayer should be my life’s work but how the enemy opposes this. Everywhere I look around me God is calling me to things bigger than me that require me to pray. I am reading a book on the life of Hudson Taylor. The secret to his great success in China was prayer. A small sculpture sits on my desk of a pastor kneeling over a chair with head buried in his folded arms praying. I have a whole shelf devoted to books on prayer. I have even written books on prayer myself. None of that necessarily translates into a great prayer life though. I how often I find in my own life the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Prayer is work. It is labor to intercede for people and for communities. Prayer is costly. The thing that most moved me today is that prayer motivated by the will of God and empowered by faith, are a fragrant aroma to the Lord. When I am away from home on some ministry assignment, I love to hear the voices of Brenda and the boys. I love to hear them say they love me and miss me. How much more does God enjoy the praise and petitions of His people? How sweet are the aromas of prayer offered to the Lord like incense from all around the world.

My little corner of the world is Seminole, TX. It is here I am called to labor, serve, and minister. A huge part of that calling for me is prayer. First and foremost I am to seek the Lord in private worship so my heart will continually be aflame for Him and His work. Next, I must labor to offer the incense of intercession for my family, friends, and for this church and community. I know beyond any doubt so many of the blessings I have enjoyed in ministry all came from the intercessions of those who prayed for me. Many blessings came from those who prayed in places I have ministered and died before seeing the prayers answered. Though they died their prayers of incense have lingered in the nostrils of a mighty God who time and again flexes His Sovereign omnipotent muscles to move of mountains of every sort and size.

Today I yearn for the prayer closet. I yearn to be drawn into the presence of the Lord. I want to live my remaining days offering up the incense of prayer. I am thankful for a group of ladies in FBC Seminole who have been offering up incense of prayers since back during the revival. They have not stopped meeting. I am thankful for Joyce Dow and the ministry of love she has with Community Prayer Room. My schedule has interfered with my attendance for several weeks but I aim and long to take my rightful place there again this week. I know these intercessions are continually before the Lord and will one day break forth in a greater revival than we saw last time.

I must cut this short. I need to get to the prayer room. It is a burning necessity. Other things have to be moved to the back burner. I have some incense to burn before the Lord ahead of leaving the office and going home. God may your people continually offer the fragrant incense of prayer before you night and day.

No comments:

Post a Comment