Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slow Down, Regroup, and Charge Ahead

This morning I read about a busy day in the life of Jesus. God’s timing of scripture reading is perfect. I have just come off several weeks of extremely busy ministry activity. Brenda and I hosted a home for Disciple Now. I have preached or participated in five funerals over the past four weeks (three for families I did not know.) There have been multiple trips to Lubbock to check on people in the hospital. I traveled somewhere around 5,000 miles while on missions trips the past week and arrived home just in time to teach our mid-week service. The boys all played in 13 baseball games over a two-day period. I had to get up early on Sunday morning to finish the message for Sunday morning.

Life lately has been spinning fast. At times too fast. There are many decisions to make about missions, calendar events for Seminole, the future of our association, working on finalizing the details and raising the money for my next book to be published, and praying for God’s direction for the fall. These are all the normal things all pastors have to deal with.

I woke up late for our Iron Indian workout this morning and was tempted to sleep in. I rustled Taylor and Tanner out of bed hurriedly and we rushed out the door getting there in time to begin. I threw a breakfast together for them afterward and willed myself to shower and get ready for the day.

When I began to pray it was all I could do to keep from drifting off to sleep. My eyes felt like they had ton weights on them. I determined in those moments to slow down. I live my life at a fast pace. Today I chose to slow down in my time with the Lord and if nothing else happened I wanted my soul to be refreshed in Him. Of course this time was interrupted by the tyranny of the urgent.

Once I got back into my devotion I was drawn to [Mark 1:14-37]. In this passage Jesus preached the gospel in Galilee, recruited leadership, traveled to Capernaum, taught in the Synagogue, cast out a demon, healed Simon Peter’s mother- in-law, followed by an evening of healing people with various diseases and casting out more demons. What a day!

It dawned on me that Jesus never seemed to be in a hurry, stressed, overcommitted, or too busy for people. In comparison it feels like I am always living life in the fast lane. We joke around with another about being busy. At times I think we are proud of our hectic lifestyles like being busier and busier is a noble thing. When my soul is numb and the creative juices have dried up despite maintaining my devotions I know I need more.

Through [Mark 1:35], God spoke to my heart this morning. “In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place and was praying there.” Jesus started His busy days by seeking the face of His Father. How many times are we tempted to neglect time with God or at least abbreviate it when faced with our filled appointments for the day?

Reading that passage brought life to my soul. I intentionally have lived this day at a much slower pace. I have prayed more. I have enjoyed people more. I have spent less time doing and more time enjoying the Lord and sitting before Him. Today has been a day to regroup. Don’t we all need to do this from time to time?

As I have talked with different people today one question has burned in my mind. How many Christian people are faking their spiritual walk? I wonder how many are burned out but they keep going. They keep willing themselves to gut out another day. I wonder how many are bone weary tired from the endless church activities? How many are so tired and burned out they cannot enjoy worship or Bible study corporately or privately? I refuse to live my life that way.

I cannot tell you the number of times I have scheduled a lunch or breakfast with the Lord to linger long in His presence in order to regroup. I recall one day driving to another town near Paradise and sitting in a park with a book and my journal all afternoon in order to be refreshed in the Lord. I have scheduled trips to secluded places near lakes and mountains for days at a time in order to regroup. If Jesus did that, how much more do you and I need it?

Ironically I was supposed to be on such a retreat this week. An overcommitted schedule caused me to punt and have to reschedule. When I read Mark 1:35 I notice that Jesus left the house which means to me He intentionally left the company of people to keep company with His father. Not only did He leave the house but He sought a secluded place to pray. There are several secluded places I can go and pray. Some are right here inside these facilities while others are hours away. For me the place is not the issue. There are an abundance of places. I have to prioritize my time with God. Nobody is going to do that for me. Nobody is going to do that for you either.

When I slow down and regroup the Lord is always faithful to renew me and reinvigorate my soul. Once I experience Him in me to that degree I am most often burning with passion and desire to charge ahead for His glory.

A word of warning is needed in closing. There are many who are burned out and withered in their souls. You might be one of them. You may play a vital part in your ministry but the truth is you are dried up. You are going through the motions but have little energy, passion, and anointing to be effective. My counsel to you is to slow down, regroup, and then charge ahead. If you do not your health can be affected as well as your soul. This is why so many settle for cheap thrills. We are all vulnerable.

This little episode in the life of Jesus has an ironic ending. Jesus left the people to be alone with God but the disciples upon awaking went out searching until they found Him. They reported that everyone was looking for Jesus. Jesus having been fueled by God for additionally ministry led them to charge ahead to new towns and new ministry assignments.

I have practiced what I preached today. I have slowed down and regrouped. Now I am ready to charge ahead into battle for the King. Nothing I do on any given day is more important than pulling away from the crowds to enjoy the refreshing presence of my God. May we all be wise enough to slow down, regroup, and then and only then to charge ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment