Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mountain View

I love the mountains. I am sitting in beautiful rustic log cabin home in Spokane, WA. Right outside the back window I can see beautiful mountains less than a mile from the back yard. Low lying clouds drape over the top of the mountain much like a scarf draped around someone’s neck. The scenery is breath taking. I feel my soul breathing in new life almost like a runner catching his second wind.

I have traveled a good many miles over the past four days. I am physically weary. I woke up at 4:30 a.m. yesterday morning and did not get to bed until after 1:00 a.m. after flying from Saskatoon to Denver and from Denver into Spokane. Flying in over the city last under the cloak of darkness revealed a dazzling display of lights. I was surprised by the size of the city. Including outlying areas the population is estimated to be around 600,000.

Jase and I are staying with Jerry and Jody who are both retired school teachers. God knew what my soul needed because I have always loved log cabins and nothing reenergizes me like the mountains as far as nature. Just looking out this window reminds me how big God is and how small I am. “For behold, the Lord is coming forth from His place. He will come down and tread on the high places of the earth. The mountains will melt under Him and the valleys will be split, like wax before the fire, like watered poured down a steep place.” [Micah 1:3-4]

Surrounded by unsurpassed beauty tens of thousands are missing out on the hope of a relationship with Jesus Christ. Many worship at the shrine of the beauty of nature and forget the one who set every mountain in place and formed every waterfall. Our God commands the seasons and reminds us of His majesty as I sit at the foot of these mountains.

Flying in last night I was reminded that God has drawn me here. I do not know why. I do not know anyone in this town. In fact, I do not know our hosts’ last name. I just went in the kitchen to ask and it is Cripps. Jerry and Jody Cripps. They have been extremely hospitable and are going the extra mile, even as I write this, to cook us breakfast.

We have several meetings scheduled throughout the day. I am trusting God to speak clearly to Michelle, Beverly, Jase, and I to show us His heart and His will for our partnership with this area. I wish I had the words to communicate what a beautiful scene I am witnessing right now. The cliché is over used but I am left to say, you would just have to be here.

I don’t know all that will unfold before us today. I pray for God’s discernment as we meet with people and try to learn the heart of God in this place. I hope to get more written as the day unfolds and of course I will write them as I get a chance.

For those of you who have prayed I want to say thank you. I have seen God at work. I will continue to seek Him and to lead our church to the gospel to the remotest parts of the earth. [Acts 1:8b]

No comments:

Post a Comment