Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Iron Indians

Taylor, Tanner, and I have been getting up at 6:00 a.m. for early morning workouts with other high school and junior high students along with a few dads. It has been intense. The workouts are at times brutal. The burning pain of fatigued muscles is excruciating. It took me a week to recover from the medicine ball work out. Ultimate bench press, rolling dumbbell presses, Defranco complex, v-taps, and everyone’s favorite farmer’s walks have pushed us all to the limit physically and mentally.

I am enthused witnessing a group of young men getting up early while their classmates sleep in, sweating together, pushing each other, encouraging one another to do more than they think they can, and the camaraderie that is being built. Endurance is growing. Strength is increasing. Muscles are bulging. Tenacity is triumphing.

The Iron Indians are a cohesive group. I love it when they cheer each other on. I find it irresistible it when we finish a workout exhausted but inwardly fulfilled and with more respect for one another. I cherish it when I hear high school students encouraging the younger guys in junior high. I really get thrilled when I hear a student give a morning challenge from the scriptures. It is worth getting up early and pushing our bodies to the limits of both our mental and physical strength.

If the church of Jesus Christ could ever come together and work like the Iron Indians only God knows the impact that would follow? If the church would rise early to pray what would happen? If the church would come together to boldly declare Christ how many would be saved? If the church would attempt more than they have ever attempted before in faith how mighty would God move? If God’s church took the mandate to preach Christ to the nations how many would go and stay for the glory of God?

I love the Iron Indians. They are pushing me to be a better man, husband, father, friend, and pastor. I love being challenged with my boys by my side and watching them fight through pain to complete the task. We leave each morning fatigued but closer for what we have experienced together. A bond is being forged among those young and old men. A small fraternity of brothers is developing. The Iron Indians Fraternity. I cannot wait to see the end results on the athletic field as these young perform at peak levels. I also long to see the way these young men stick together through adversity. I’m also talking about adult men as well as young athletes. We must push each other when life gets tough and cheer one another on to the finish line.

More importantly I want to labor just as diligently for the advancement of God’s Kingdom. I want to see the church baptize more than ever before. I long to see brothers and sisters in Christ rally around one another in the tough times and cheer them through to victory. I hope to see a cohesive unit undeterred by challenges in taking the gospel to the streets of Seminole (or wherever you live) as well as to the streets around the world. I trust God to see His church strengthened, toughened, and united around His purposes. I hope to see the pews packed with devoted lovers of God who do not grow weary in sitting at His feet in adoration and admiration.

To the band of brothers known as the Iron Indians I salute you. Your examples and work ethic are inspiring to this middle aged man. Your never say quit attitude challenges me to not quit in my labors for Christ. May God use you all to impact your fellow students and the adults around Seminole and the world. Now my challenge to each of you men is to be an Iron Indian for Jesus Christ and to the glory of His name. Not to us but to Him be all honor and glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment