Sunday, April 11, 2010

Praise the Lord

There are so many things I love about my job. On any given day I get to spend time in prayer, study of the scriptures, to write a blog, to work on completion of a new book, counsel with people, and visit the sick in the hospital.

Recently I was visiting a wonderful man of God who is facing numerous health issues. His life has not been an easy one. He has had to battle through many difficult trials in his eight decades of life. He is growing weaker by the day and can barely speak. When he does speak he is talking about the Lord or quoting Bible verses. The other day he barely whispered the following phrase. “Praise the Lord. Praise Him in the morning. Praise Him in the evening. Praise Him all day long.”

Paul wrote something very similar. “Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice.” [Phil 4:4] My brother who is in the hospital knows this truth inside out. While his body is failing Him – his spirit is strong and his love for God burns white hot in his soul. He has not wavered from the faith even in the difficulties of life. He is firmly committed to exalting the Savior in the difficult times as well as the painful times.

When everything is going against you how do you still find it within you to praise the Lord? This will not happen unless you have searched the scriptures and dug deep into the character of God. The more you dig and the further you go into His character the more you will discover that God is good and trustworthy. Millions have experienced this through the ages. David wrote in [Ps 145:1-3] “I will extol You my God, O King, and I will bless your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord and highly to be praised, and His greatness is unsearchable.”

David knew what it was like to praise the Lord in the tough times. While being hunted down like a fugitive by Saul David penned these words, “I love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer. My God, my rock in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” [Ps 18:1-2]

Praising the Lord often takes place in worship services with beautiful music, enthusiastic worshippers, and surrounded by others who exalt the name of Jesus. At times you and I might be called to praise the Lord in much more difficult circumstances we are forced to endure alone. When all is stripped away; our health, our dignity, our ability to communicate, our loved ones, and our hope of things getting easier in this life, we are still called to praise the Lord. I wonder if this praising is not richer, sweeter, more melodious, and more touching to the heart of God.

David continued to praise the Lord through pain and adversity as he wrote, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with song I shall thank Him.” [Ps 28:7] Here we find the answer to the question I posed earlier. How do you find it within you to keep praising the Lord when life is coming unraveled at the seams?

God is the source of our strength. He helps us to endure the tough times as well as to enjoy the good times. He gives us the grit to endure no matter what we are up against. God does not stop there but He is also our shield. He protects us from attacks of the enemy who loves to assault us when we are already weak and down. David progresses when he states that because God is His strength and shield, his heart will trust God.

My friend in the hospital is facing uncertain days ahead. I am inspired when I hear him praise the Lord and talk of trusting Him. I need that. How can I preach things that I am not firmly convinced are true? I need to be around those who are facing adversity and affliction and see them remain strong in the faith and hear them keep praising the Lord so I can follow their example. You know what God does when we trust Him? He helps us! That help may take in many different forms but He comes to our aid.

At times that help may take in the form of peace of my mind and heart that cannot be described. [Phil 4:6-7] His help comes in the form of strength to be able to endure another hour and another day of trials. [Phil 4:13] That help also comes in the forms of provision [Phil 4:19], counsel, encouragement, forgiveness, or a timely scripture.

I received an email from a lady following God on an adventure that is stretching her way past her comfort zone. God used His word in Joshua chapter one in a very timely manner to remind her that He is not only calling her but He will walk with her every step of the way. He will be there to help.

I have praised the Lord on numerous occasions in churches, at revivals, retreats and camps. A deeper praise comes out of my soul more than from my lips when I praise him in suffering when the darkness settles in and the pain does not subside. God was honored when Paul and Silas sang in prison at midnight so much so in fact, He did a miracle and opened the prison doors but more importantly saving the jailer and his family.

I hope you are praising the Lord regardless of what you are going through. He is worthy to be praised in the morning, in the evening, and all day long every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment