Sunday, April 11, 2010

Resurrection Hope

I have just been reading the crucifixion and resurrection story alone in my office this Saturday evening before Easter or Resurrection Day. I drew my focus onto Peter and his blatant denial of Christ after Jesus was arrested. I wanted to follow His journey to the end. What happened after he denied Christ three times.

Peter blew it. You know what I mean. He sinned like you and I do defiantly, doggedly, and defeated. The words no more than got out of his mouth than the rooster crowed bringing Jesus’ stinging prophesy back to mind. You know what followed. Conviction condemnation, sorrow, a sense of failure, and of course shame.

One of the beautiful things about the resurrection story is the restoration of Peter. Jesus told the women who first came to the tomb to report what they had experienced to the disciples and Peter. [Mark 16:7] I found it interesting that Jesus singled Peter out to let Him know He was welcome and wanted. In John chapter twenty-one there is a tender story of Jesus restoring Peter to a right relationship and to ministry.

That story brings me hope. I have lived that story. I have fallen more times than I can remember head first into the muck and mire of sin. I have hung my head in shame and received more blows of condemnation than a heavyweight boxer in a championship match from the devil. I have stumbled in guilt and isolation distancing myself from the Lord feeling unworthy of His grace and forgiveness.

On the other hand, the resurrected Christ has pulled me to Himself in prayer and through the pages of scripture to tenderly convict me, rebuke me, love me, and over and over again to restore me. I am Peter. I have walked the dusty and filthy road of sin. My heart has been stained and scarred by poor choices and acts of rebellion and yet, my Lord who died in my place, has imputed my sins onto His sinless and pure heart. I am still unworthy but so thankful that I can live with resurrection hope.

The power of Jesus’ resurrection gives me hope not only for forgiveness and restoration in this life but it also assures me of the power of God to preserve me until the day of salvation. [I Pet 1:3-5] I am so very humbled and grateful to know this resurrection hope. It is my hope and prayer that in churches and services all over the world the multitudes who grope in failure like Peter and like me will discover the hope of new life in Jesus and the hope of salvation. Jesus’ resurrection changed everything and because of that we all have hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment