Sunday, April 18, 2010

God’s Reminder

I enjoyed serving our Senior Adults at their annual banquet this past Thursday. The deacons and staff waited on tables while those seasoned saints enjoyed an evening of good food and a night of entertainment. We all took pleasure in a great evening.

Earlier in the week the Lord spoke a very profound message to me personally. It was the kind of experience that once it was over I found myself questioning whether I really heard from the Lord. The message was very personal, precise, and it contained a wonderful promise. I have missed knowing I have heard from the Lord more times than I can count. I am more cautious these days thinking I have really heard a word from the Lord.

After that profound encounter with the God I began asking for confirmation concerning the message. I never expected that it would come at the Senior Adult banquet but it came in two forms. First, the speaker made a passing comment that God meant for me. Few probably caught it but that comment arrested my attention. It was the exact thing He spoken to me on multiple occasions earlier in the week. I might have even dismissed the comment if what happened at the end of the evening would not have taken place.

We were busy cleaning up after the banquet when one of the deacons walked over to the glass door to look outside. It rained and drizzled all that day. By the time the banquet ended the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds and a radiant and gorgeous rainbow had formed right over the courthouse. Every color was brightly and vividly displayed. I have never seen a more clear and fully formed rainbow at such close proximity before. Of course I thought of God and his promise to never destroy the earth by flood again, but the longer I looked I began wondering if God was gently reminding me what I had heard earlier in the week and just moments before in the banquet had originated from his heart and mind. The rainbow reminded me that God does speak and what He promises He will do comes to reality.

I stood mesmerized by the sight of the rainbow for several minutes. Others surrounded me but they did not know I was enjoying one of those special God moments that becomes a spiritual marker. My heart lapped up the experience like a thirsty animal lapping up water from a brook. I wanted to remember who I was standing by, what I was thinking and experiencing, and where I physically standing to imprint this experience on my heart and mind.

I’m grateful that God continually reminds of His promises whether it come in a rainbow, a song, a comment, a scripture, or even some circumstance. His reminders are often subtle and can be easily missed if you are not sensitive and seeking. It just so happens that my spiritual senses are on full alert wanting to hear from Him.

We are told in Jeremiah 29:13 that we will find the Lord when we search for Him with all our heart. In my vigilant efforts to seek Him I rejoice that He is allowing me to find Him. He is allowing me to be continually reminded of His promise and equally important His presence.

Lord, thank you for your gentle reminders. Day in and day out you are always there to remind us you are with us. You also remind us that you are the original promise keeper. I rest assured you will never leave me or forsake me. I rest in the glorious truth that when I commit my way to you, you will direct my paths and do it. Thank you for your reminders.

No comments:

Post a Comment