Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Conditioned

How is your conditioning? I know that may sound like a broad question. I admit it is so. So, how is your conditioning? 

How is your emotional conditioning? Are you emotionally resilient able to handle the set backs in life? Are you slow to anger, slow to worry, slow to give into despair? We condition ourselves emotionally by what dwell on in our thoughts. I've found the only healthy thing to dwell on is God's word and His character in the set backs of life. 

How is your  physical conditioning? Do you work to stay fit? It is a battle. A daily grind to pound the pavement, push the weights, do the cardio, and watch what you eat? What about your rest? Do you sleep well at night? Legendary coach Vince Lombardi famously said, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." 

In an exhausted state have you ever felt like giving up, quitting, throwing in the towel, or losing heart. It easy to do when you are tired. 

I've found at times nothing prepares me for the challenges of life like a good night of sleep. When I am weary life looks overwhelming. When I am rested I more eagerly face the challenges of the day. 

I have also found that working out through physical exertion helps prepare me to battle in life. I was at it at 5:00 a.m. today. When I do a few extra push ups,  walk a little longer, pedal a little harder and further,  or press a few extra reps beyond what my body says it can, I am reminded I can make it through the hard days as well.Through physical exercise I condition my body which also helps me condition my mind.  

How is your spiritual conditioning? Through the daily disciplines of prayer, scripture reading, and scripture meditation we are trained to endure. We learn to practice perseverance. We fight past quitting points. 

Life is not always easy. There are several times when I have felt like giving up. There were times when I did not think I could make it through another day or another problem. Through God's strength I did make it through. 

Through prayer and Bible reading God has conditioned me to keep pressing forward. I have been able to preach when I felt empty inside. I have clung to faith when doubt settled over my mind like a heavy fog bringing confusion. 

Quitting points are often made of tissue paper. Once you breakthrough them you find God helps you to keep going. Those quitting points were not so tough after all in hindsight. 

I hope you are conditioned emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Life is a long race. May we all never stop until we reach our finish line.  I love the words of David. These words have helped condition me through much of life. 

Psalm 27:13-14 (NASB)
13  I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.

14  Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment