Monday, January 30, 2017

The Funeral Nobody Attended

I have preached many funerals over the years. Some were attended by many. Others much smaller grave side services.

I preached one funeral several years ago for a lady I did not know. Her and her husband were homebound and not members of any church. It was a bitter cold January day. I can still remember the bite of the chilling winds blowing through my suit coat and pants. Those clothes were no match for icy temperatures. It is the smallest attended funeral I have ever preached. In attendance were the husband, his caretaker, the funeral home attendants, the singer, and myself. It was sad that after such a long life this lady had so very few to remember her.

I have never preached a funeral where nobody attended. I recently read about one though. What is surprising is the man who died had been a leader. He seemed to be well respected by many. He also at times tended to be a loner. He would often disappear for days. People speculate he just wanted to be alone with God. He would hike off into the mountains and remain there for a few days and sometimes even a few weeks.

Even when he stayed home he would often walk away from people to find a quiet spot to pray and meditate. People knew this man walked with God.  They knew he also heard from God. Many times he would return from a prayer retreat and relate new direction for the organization he led.

When I read about his death it surprised me nobody attended his funeral. You would think such a man would be revered and honored in his death. Yet the record is clear. Nobody attended this man's funeral. He had outlived his wife. I am not sure where his children were. I know he had one very close friend who would have attended if he had known. He did not even have a preacher present. No loved ones. No close friends.

It is true he died suddenly. Though advanced in years he was still energetic, sharp in his mind, and could see well enough he did not need glasses. Nobody expected him to die so suddenly. He had slipped off to a mountain like he was prone to do. Only this time he never came back down. People wondered what happened. We would not know except there was one eye witness.

Yahweh Jehovah, God Almighty was the only witness. He drew His servant Moses up on a mountain to look over at the promised land. Moses would never set foot on that land but God allowed him to see it. Then at 120 years of age Moses died alone with God. That seems fitting considering all the time the two of them spent alone together. Then a strange thing happened.

God buried Moses. God conducted His own private funeral service for His beloved servant Moses. Nobody attended. The service was so private to this day nobody knows where God tenderly laid Moses' body to rest.

I am sure others would have loved to have been at Moses' funeral. Israel would grieve the loss of such powerful leader and prophet. He was mighty in prayer. His death was such a precious thing to God,  He kept those last moments alone with Moses for Himself. He celebrated the life of Moses alone. There was no preacher. There were no singers. There were no throngs of people. God preserved that last private prayer and funeral moment for Himself alone.

We know God loved Moses. We also know there has never been another prophet like Moses. You can read the whole account for yourself in Deuteronomy 34:5-7

None of us know how many will be at our funerals should we live that long and the Lord not return. It would be just fine with me if nobody was there except God. He could bury me anywhere as long as He and I were together until the end.

I used to think a great way to die would be either during preaching or right after preaching a sermon. I have since changed my mind. If I could choose the way I die I would choose for it be in prayer. I want my last moments on earth to be in private prayer. I would not even mind if it were on a prayer retreat on some mountain enjoying deep communion with God alone. Afterward, I will not care how many or how few attend my funeral. I will not even care where I am buried. . Philippians 1:21 (ESV) 
21  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment