Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Day At Denman Avenue

I went home this past weekend. Not my current home. I went back home to the Piney woods of east Texas. Back home to Lufkin where I was born and grew up. Back to my home church - Denman Avenue Baptist Church. I was invited to preach to the students there this past weekend.

I saw so many people from the past. So many people who invested in me, supported me, encouraged me and whom God used to help me not only in being discipled but also in ministry. What a great weekend. I ate at a Lufkin staple called Ray's. Best burger I've ever had. I ate Mexican food at Cafe Del Rio. I drove by my old home on Cunningham street. Many times I dreamed of buying that house and living there. I saw the yard I played ball in. The trees I climbed. Even the pine straw I used to rake.

I drove in awe of the towering Pine trees that grow so tall they overshadow two lane roads. I stayed in two different homes of people I love more than I can ever put into words. My mind swirls with memories of prolonged conversations mostly about God and the Bible.

I sat in a Sunday School classroom this past Saturday night to pray before preaching. Thoughts of the grace of God in salvation, connecting me with Denman Avenue Baptist Church, with Charles Roberts, Eli Bernard, and scores of people that have influenced my life in profound ways overwhelmed me. I could not hardly take it all in  God did in connecting me with so many wonderful people who loved me, prayed for me. embraced me, and invested in me.  The Denman Avenue people took in this  troubled teen, an unbridled young adult, and now a middle aged pastor. I love my home church and owe them a debt I can never repay.

I had the chance to worship with my home church this past Sunday morning. What a blessing. I was deeply moved by the music. I met with God. I saw people I have not seen in years. It has been close to six years since my last visit to Denman Avenue.

I am thankful for the chance to go back home. I cannot remember a trip over the past decade back home that meant anymore than this last one. Thank you Jesus for your amazing grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment