Monday, July 18, 2016

Just Jesus And Me

As I sit here alone in this office it is just Jesus and me. It has been quiet today. The phone has not rung. There have bene no emails to answer. Things are calm. I have not had visitors. It has just been Jesus and me.

We have talked. I have laid my burdens before Him and listened for His voice when reading His word. The  truth is I prefer His company to the company of any man. He offers me life, hope, peace, refuge, strength, counsel, joy, provision, love, forgiveness, revelation, inspiration, and so much more.

Whether I am seated at this desk or sitting on a mower He is there. He is with me in the night watches, in my truck when driving, and when surrounded by hundreds of people. He is available. He listens. He works. He helps. He encourages. He speaks. He leads. He calls.

I have known the bitter sting of those who forsook me in the past. Jesus never has. I have not always lived up to His expectations. I have gotten it wrong many times. Each time He has been there to pick me up, dust me off, lavish me with grace, and restore me.

I've seen the writing on the wall. Brenda and I will not live forever. One of us will go first. The boys will be older, busy with their own lives and families and we will be forced to endure life alone without the other. I have seen this same scene played out over and over again in the lives of senior adult. I have seen them at restaurants eating alone where once they shared meals with a spouse. In those low and lonely days once again it will just be Jesus who will be our close companion.

The phone will not ring. Nobody will knock on the door. No letters will arrive in the mail. Our meals will be eaten alone. The only sound in the house will be that of the television or music. Jesus will still be there.  We will not really be alone.

This is my reminder on this quiet and uneventful Monday. It is jut Jesus and me. I find He is enough to satisfy. He is sufficient for all any of us need. Jesus, thank You for being a constant presence and our closest companion. May we always be aware of Your presence and clothed in Your love. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment