Monday, July 25, 2016

First Responder

He sat in church yesterday morning heavy hearted. He is a fire fighter and EMT. He worked a double fatality wreck earlier that morning. What he witnessed would be difficult for anyone. He knew one of the victims. I prayed for him. As I walked away I thought to myself "I would not want his job."

I thank God for first responders who show up to protect and serve in crisis moments. I thank God for first responders who arrive on the scene to rescue and to offer medical treatment. They willingly put themselves in stressful situations most would flee from.

Do we really think of the emotional toll their job takes on them. We all mourned with police officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge recently. What about those first responders who deal with horrific accidents, tragedies, and death routinely. Are we mindful that these first responders at times need to receive care, protection, and healing as much or more than those they serve.

Jesus is the ultimate first responder. He heals. He comforts. He strengthens. He renews. He loves. He listens.  He helps first responders as well as the rest.

I can't erase the mental images of what first responders see, hear, and smell as they do their job. I can't take away the sorrow. I can't repair shattered faith. Jesus, our first responder, is the only one who can. He is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment