Friday, May 24, 2013

A Step of Faith

Brenda and I are facing a major decision about purchasing a home. Our house in Seminole is under contract is supposed to close sometime around mid June. As we have looked at houses around here we have found one that is as close to the desires of our heart as any house we have ever looked at. It is not in Paradise but in the community of Runaway Bay not far from Paradise. It is reasonably priced for houses in this area.

We have made an offer and a counter offer. We have prayed and prayed over this issue. Not just in recent days but before we even left Seminole we prayed about this. Really what this has come down to is coming up with the money for the closing costs. We do not want to do anything without God's Spirit leading. We covet your prayers as we make a decision. We want God's decision.

Truth is I feel God prompting me to trust Him and walk by faith as we have done time and time again. Yet on the other hand, it makes me nervous. Many times I have walked up to waters edge like Israel to the Jordan River with the waters overflowing the banks and God said, "Step forward." Then and only then did Israel see the powerful hand of God stop the flow of water. In my case, only when I have stepped forward in faith have I seen the miraculous intervention of God in my life. The key is know the will of God and to be obedient to that will.

In Israel's case God's will for them was to cross the Jordan River and to take possession of the promise land. God tested their faith time and time again. That is how it is supposed to be. God tests our faith and in turn our confidence in God grows. In turn future steps of faith are not so difficult. We learn trust one faith step at a time.

Most of us want a settled life with few problems are challenges. God wills us to face challenges so we can trust Him more and more. So consistently He puts faith decisions before us. I have often thought of those first people in Joshua on the banks of the Jordan River at flood stage as they took those first steps. It must have been frightening.

I know first hand. I know that mixed feeling of terror and confidence in God as you totally abandon yourself. Honestly, we have seen God in work in astounding ways, but there have been other times when I bit the dust acting on my will and not God's. Knowing God's will in taking any step of faith is crucial. [I John 5:14-15] This is where Brenda and I covet your prayers so much.

 Thank you for your prayers. They are needed as we seek God's wisdom on how to move forward.

Our will is to do nothing but His will. I watch to see where God is working. I cannot clearly see that yet. I know He is working in one way or another. He could work to close a door, He could be working to test my faith and see if I will step forward in complete trust in Him or He could be working by requiring us to wait a little longer.

Prayers for direction are needed and prayers to see where and how God is working in this situation. Through it all, it is still well with my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment