Saturday, March 10, 2012

Soggy Saturday

It has rained all day. I am not talking about a gentle little mist. Since around 10:30 a.m. until now at 7:15 p.m. the rain has not stopped. We have had a real soaker. The rain has alternated between a heavy down pour and a steady drizzle all day long. This is the kind of day when you cannot do much. It would have been the perfect day to read a book.

Brenda and I attended the funeral of a beloved teacher in the community earlier this morning. Afterwards we went to lunch and enjoyed some one on one time. This is a blessing I do not want to take for granted. What the husband of that teacher would give to have just one more meal with his wife. I do not want to take these times with Brenda for granted. We gathered the boys later and went to a movie. Over dinner we told funny stories about one another and rolled in laughter. This has been one of the best weekends we have enjoyed together in a long long time.

On this soggy Saturday I know many have been disrupted from their normal routines. Baseball games had to be canceled. An outdoor auction left everyone soaked. Today has been the kind of day when you just wanted to stay home to keep warm and dry.

I am grateful for some great family time over the past couple of days. Having all the boys together with no  athletic events to attend has been nice. We have laughed and made memories together. We have enjoyed time as a family and not had to rush about. It has been a nice relaxing weekend even though the rain has not stopped all day long.

I think about the coming of summer ushering in hotter temperatures and a dryer climate. The drought and heat wave of 2011 is not forgotten. I am grateful for this soaking rain to nourish the grass and crops, to replenish stock tanks and lakes, and to make the way for the coming of Spring. I am grateful for this soggy Saturday to slow down, to enjoy my family, and to bask in the bounty of God's faithfulness.

Inclement weather usually means low attendance at church. I thank God anyway for this soaking rain. I heard people complain about why the wet weather could not have coming during the week instead of on the weekend. I can only speak for one Edwards family. The rain caused this family to slow down and to enjoy one another. I would trade this soggy Saturday. I am not saying I would want every Saturday to be a soaker. I am just grateful for this day. Lord, thank you for showers of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment