Thursday, March 8, 2012

The King is Coming

It really hit home with me yesterday that Jesus Christ the King is coming back. Any day now. Any hour the eastern sky will split, Jesus will step out on the clouds and the trumpet of God will sound. The dead in Christ will rise first and then Christians all over the world will be snatched away. Nobody but God the Father knows when this will take place.

As I sit in my chair it dawns on me it could happen before I finish this. What a way to go. Writing about the return of Jesus Christ would be a great thing to be caught doing at His second coming. I preached on this topic last night to our adults and students. That would have been a great thing to be doing at His second coming. Teaching and preaching to warn people to be ready.

Jesus told us that He would return when we did not expect it. I wonder what you and I will be doing at that moment. Will we be engaged in private devotions seeking Him and wanting more of Him? Will we be caught in some act of service for our King? Will He come when we are engaged in public worship singing our hearts out in adoration? Will He snatch us away while giving witness for Him.

He could come at an hour when we are slothful as it relates to holy living. He might return while we are engaged in a secret sin, in the middle of a temper tantrum, in a spell of depression, or with a luke warm and indifferent heart.

When the King comes back how will He find His church? Will He find His church spotless or soiled in degradation? That should give cause for us to guard over our activities. None of us would want to be caught unexpected. The best way to avoid that is to live in constant expectation He could return at any moment.

Wow. When that thought sinks in, I mean really sinks in, it puts everything in perspective. Things that appeared so important suddenly fade in the light of eternity. Problems that consumed our thoughts begin to shrink. Our passion should be directed toward loving the King and yearning for His return.

The King is coming back. Any day now. Any hour. Are you ready? I remember hearing an old song with the line, "I wish we had all been ready." Until that day I want to warn people to get ready for the soon return of Jesus Christ the King.




No comments:

Post a Comment