Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Job Well Done

Faith Community Church hosted a basketball tournament this weekend to raise money for our students going to camp. We had games going in two gyms going Thursday night, Friday night, and all day Saturday and into Saturday night. I am so impressed by the job I saw done by our students and adults alike to pull off this huge project.

The whole event was organized well. Everything from people working the gate, security, concession stands, cleaning the bathrooms, taking out the trash was done with excellence. No detail got overlooked. The whole event went smoothly. We left the facilities cleaner than we found them. An amazing job. We even had people going back to Walmart five different times because food had to be restocked due to the fact it sold so quickly.

Yesterday, Brenda and I spent the whole day at a track meet. We drove back into Paradise right as the championship games were played last night. What I saw upon entering the gym amazed me. I saw a man and his step daughter, not only mopping the cafeteria, but they had also mopped both bathrooms. The chairs were already set up for our worship service this morning. Everything from the concession stand had been cleaned and put away. We finished putting out the sound system to complete getting set up for church this morning.

I walked over to the other gym and again got stunned by what I saw. Teenagers emptying trash cans, carrying tables, picking up trash in the gym and cleaning the concession stand. One man and woman were washing down all the windows and glass doors. Another man mopped the lobby and soon another man joined him. The bathrooms were cleaned. Everyone worked as a team pulling their load.

Several times since we have started this church I have been amazed by the people. Once we worked the concession stands at a Friday night football game. Our people crammed in that space and worked like busy bees. My heart swelled with pride to be a part of such a great team. Another time we all pitched in to put a float in the homecoming parade. Again I could not have been prouder of the job pulled off by the team. Our children put on a Christmas play with excellence this past December. The work our adults and children put into that play blessed my heart. Props were built for the set. Costumes were made. Children knew their parts. They all did an amazing job.

Each Sunday after the service everyone from children, teenagers, men and women pitch in to haul equipment off the stage, set up tables and move chairs back in place in the cafeteria. Within ten minutes the job is done and everyone gets to stand around and visit. They do an excellent job.

I know when this church sets out to do something they do it with excellence. When a job needs to be done people work. They roll up their sleeves and do the work. They sweat, sacrifice and do the jobs many people do not want to do. When these people come together and set their mind to accomplish a task the end result is amazing.

I want to take that same mindset and focus it on building the kingdom of God. I want to see our team focused and laboring toward things that will matter for eternity. I am proud to be a part of Faith Community Church. The journey has not been easy and as past blogs have told the story, I have struggled along the way. This has been a good week. God has reaffirmed His call on my life to serve as  pastor of this church. He has set new vision in my heart. I have been reminded of the wonderful people I get to serve with. So I put my hands together and say to the people of Faith Community Church, "Job well done! Job well done." I look forward to worshiping with you in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment