Friday, March 9, 2012

A Fresh Start

It is an overcast cold Friday morning as I sit at the Finish Line. As I sit at this back corner table my mind is consumed with thoughts of a fresh start. Today is a fresh start. It is a day of new beginnings. A new beginning to dig into the scriptures. It is a new day to open my heart to the wonders of God's presence. It is a fresh opportunity to relate to family and friends and to enjoy life.

From time to time we all need fresh starts. Maybe we had a bad day filled with trials and set backs and want to push the rewind button. I had a day yesterday where everything seemed to go wrong all day long. It started with our freezer on the refrigerator in the garage not working and many of the things inside defrosting spilling water on the ground.  Next, I tried to get some mowing done before a cold front blew through and the rain began.

I could not get our push mower started. I yanked and yanked on the pull cord but nothing. When I finally did get it to start, I only got about one third of the front yard mowed when the rains came leaving me soaked and headed for cover. When I cleaned up and went to lunch with Brenda I ordered the lunch special. It proved to be disappointing choice. Lost in translation had to be the small portion of food I received. I left still hungry.

By this time the rains stopped and I determined to get the rest of the front yard mowed. The cold chilled me to the bone as the winds blew wet grass clippings all over me from head to toe. I felt a sense of accomplishment that I at least I accomplished finishing that task.

To top the night off Brenda got sick after dinner. She spent the majority of the evening sick in bed. I felt badly for her but nothing I could say or do helped. She just needed to gut it out. She still did not feel well this morning when she woke up.

I received a phone call from one of our principals informing me he had to call in one of our boys for a little discipline issue. When Brenda learned of this when she got off work I think it contributed to her not feeling well.

So that brings me to this point of making a fresh start. Yesterday is gone forever and can never be recaptured. I say good riddance. Better to let it go and to press forward with a fresh start today. This day has not fully unfolded before me and I am not sure what will happen. I know this day is held in the hands of God. I know this day is a fresh opportunity to encounter God.

I like the way the day has unfolded so far. I met a friend at breakfast this morning and enjoyed my time with him. He purchased my breakfast. I had a good devotion with the boys before school about sharing our testimony with others. We reminisced about the day each of them trusted Jesus into their hearts for salvation. I have enjoyed some time to think and write in this back corner of the cafe for the past couple of hours. It has been a fresh start to what I anticipate to be a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment