Monday, August 1, 2011

Exceeding Expectations

There are few times in life when you experience something that truly exceeds your expectations. You hear about a restaurant from several friends who rave about the food. You try it and find the food good but it does not exceed your expectation. You get a travel brochure about a dream vacation but when you arrive at your hotel it does not look anything like the brochure. You feel let down. You buy a new cell phone that is supposed to be faster, sleeker, and more powerful only to have it malfunction and frustrate you.

Few things in life really exceed expectations. I have found over and over again in my journey with the Lord He does that. He exceeded my expectations in a wife. He has exceeded my expectations in my children. He exceeds my expectations in prayer often.

That is exactly what He did yesterday when Faith Community Church met for the first time together on a Sunday morning at the Cub House daycare in Paradise. We prayed and stepped out in faith together. We did not know what to expect. Taylor and I left Seminole ten days ago to pursue this call on our lives.

I awoke yesterday morning pretty nervous. I did know how many would show up. We had not one person to lead music. We showed up early at the daycare to set out chairs. Ten minutes before the service the place still seemed pretty empty. Then the people started showing up. First, this family came and then another. Several times I had some “wow” moments when people walked in the door.

Soon we ran out of chairs. Some stood at the back of the room lined up against the wall. Several even stood in the room next to where we were meeting. You could have blown me over with a feather. I am still awed at those who came. Some without a church home. Some who had drifted out of church over the years. When the final count had been tallied forty-five people attended our inaugural service even though we really did not advertise it. People kept coming and God exceeded my expectations.

One of the most moving moments for me personally included the gift two men presented in building a pulpit. I am still moved by their love, dedication, and devotion to the Lord. I know that pulpit was built and dedicated to the Lord but I will get to be one to use it.

I look forward to using it week after week. I pray the Lord build His people into an exceedingly great army. We read in [Eph 3:20] “He is able to do exceedingly more than we can think or ask according to the power that works in us.” God is doing that. He will continue to do that. Faith Community Church was nothing but a dream. Now God is giving birth to a miracle.

It excites me that so many people without a church home chose to come worship with us. Nearly half of the new church is made up of people who either drifted out of church or have not had a church home. Some may not have a relationship with Jesus. Praise the Lord. He is at work redeeming a lost world to Himself. I am grateful I get to play a tiny part in that.

There is more to come. God has only just begun. We will pray and labor trusting God to build His kingdom in Wise County, Texas, and beyond to the utter most parts of the earth. [Acts 1:8] Thank you God for exceeding my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment