Sunday, July 10, 2011

Standing on the Edge

I feel like I have lived most of my ministry on the edge of a cliff. Over and over again God has called me to step over the edge to trust Him for something or another. Today I find myself standing on that familiar edge once again. Behind me I can see a beautiful life God provided in Seminole but in front of me I see that life quickly coming to an end. I will preach one more Sunday. This chapter of our lives is wrapping up quickly.
The view from the edge is breathtaking. In front of me are mountains of various sizes. Beyond the mountains is the dream of a new church. There is a freedom standing on the edge. I am owned by no other than Jesus Christ. I am truly free. I am not enslaved to the opinions of men. I have not been bought or silenced. I am surrendered to Him and His pleasure. My aim is to please my Master. Standing on the edge and looking down can be frightening until I turn my gaze back on the Master and let His words speak to me. "The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." [Deut 31:8] "And He said, ‘My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest." [Ex 33:14] "The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent." [Ex 14:33] "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." [Is 41:10] "I will go before you and make the rough places smooth; I will shatter the doors of bronze and cut through their iron bars. I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden wealth of secret places, so that you may know it is I, the Lord God of Israel who calls you by your name." [Is 45:2-3]
As long as I keep my mind on seeking the Lord and listening to His word I am not consumed by the dangers below the cliff. My confidence rests in the God who calls me. I know from scripture and walking off this edge numerous times in the past He does not fail. Though I cannot see the outcome with my physical eyes my spiritual vision assures God will make a way where there seems to be no way.
I feel like a soldier standing on the battle line facing the enemy getting ready to charge. My pulse quickens. My adrenaline is surging. My senses are on high alert. I know the challenges and the risks but I also know the freedom and adventure that comes when God says, "Trust me and step out." I wait eagerly for His invitation to step off the cliff into His waiting arms once again.
I know God brings His children to this same edge of the cliff of comfort and security. Many stand paralyzed by fear and look down at the danger and the risk their whole Christian lives. They do not trust God to catch them. They eventually turn back in unbelief only to be brought by the Lord to the same cliff to face those same fears. They will never progress until they press forward in faith and not turn backward.
I know there are many watching this step of faith for my family. They want to see how this turns out for the Edwards. They may say they admire our faith but many admire from a distance. They think we are crazy but I see this as the clear biblical pattern Jesus called His followers to. He calls of us at some point or another to stand on the edge of common sense, comfort, and complacency and to step out fully trusting Him with the results when He calls. What a thrilling adventure.
Let me offer a word of caution. There could be some impulsive person out there reading this and using this blog to justify a foolish decision that did not originate with God. I know God calls us to follow Him into risk but that should only be at His initiative. When I have stepped off the edge I have done so with the full assurance God called me to do so. I am not interested in dreaming up my own dreams and running off the cliff asking God to bless on the way down. That can lead to disaster.
Standing on the edge of the cliff I feel the breezes of God’s presence calming my soul. His word reverberates in the chambers of my mind. From this vantage point I can enjoy the view for a few days longer. Soon I will step out into the darkness to plant Faith Community Church. I feel the dream of this church beating deep in my chest and the dream consumes me. I must follow the Lord to do this. From the edge of this cliff there are just as many unknowns today as there were months ago when the dream began taking shape in my mind.
I could sit down and wait until all the unknowns have been deciphered with answers. I could sit here as close to the edge as I can get while remaining on sure footing. That is not faith. I could stay here and encourage others to leap, walk off the edge, and to step out of their comfort zones while remaining securely stationed on the edge. None of those will do. I am a faith walker and I must take this next step. I am not saying it will be easy but I am saying I will step out. I will go off the edge with my last check from FBC Seminole. I will walk off the edge when I sell my house. I will step out of my comfort zone when I preach before this great congregation of hundreds for the last time to take up the post of preaching to a little over a dozen in a house.
God will build the Faith Community Church. Our house will sell. We will be provided a place to live in Paradise. Our needs will be met because God has already gone before us to do all of this and more. I urge you brothers and sisters join me on the edge. Inch out further. Close your eyes and listen for the voice of God calling you to trust Him. When you hear Him beckoning you to step out do it! For once in your life abandon everything to follow Him. Obey Him without regard for anything but trusting Him like a child trusts a loving parent. He will not fail you.
If He wills you come out further than you have ever ventured before trust Him. If He calls you heed His voice without hesitation or delay. Step off the edge and discover freedom. Step off the edge and experience the faithfulness of God.

1 comment:

  1. Been following your blog and watching this move evolve. As a wife of a man of God I see the familiars of His Hand on your life. I so respect your deep love for Him and His call on your life. When you get a chance read My Utmost For His Highest Aug 5th it has your name on it.....
    Blessing on you Abundantly!
    Mary Mason
    www.safeplaceministries.org
    http://marydsplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete