Monday, July 18, 2011

My Last Sunday

Yesterday was my last Sunday as pastor of FBC Seminole. It started as the past one hundred Sundays mostly started. I arose early and swung by the donut shop for some breakfast. I came into the office to pray and prepare for what I knew would be an emotionally challenging day.

As I walked into my office I had several emotions come over me. Sadness knowing it would be our last Sunday. Passion for the message God had given me. Grief over leaving so many people we have grown to love. Desperation to trust God to make a way for us where there seems to be no way. Dread in facing this great congregation for the last time amidst all the tears. Joy over the two baptisms we were going to celebrate.

In my quiet time once again the Lord comforted my soul concerning His going ahead of us to settle all the details in our move. I then prayed through the different points in the message. I still had not had contact with any people yet. That did not come until I walked into our television room to greet our volunteers and set up the time I would address the television viewers one last time. I went upstairs afterwards to get ready for the baptisms. What a joy the baptism of a little girl and a little boy were.

I had to hustle to get dressed and get back to the television room again. It was important for me to talk to those people who have faithfully watched this ministry. They had to know I loved them and always saw myself as their pastor. This morning one of our viewers came in to give me something crying. We embraced and he told me, “I can hardly stand this.” He then turned to leave still weeping. My heart breaks with him. Only God knows how many people He has touched through our broadcast ministry.

When I finally got into the sanctuary the tears started. There is something about the music that moves my soul. It didn’t matter which songs we sung. Turner scooted over next to me and started crying when he saw me crying. I tried to be strong but my breaking heart for these wonderful people gets the best of me at times.

I preached my heart out from Matt 6:33. “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all the things will be added to you.” God gave me freedom, anointing, and great passion for the subject of expending our lives in building His kingdom. A few responded during the invitation coming to the front to seek God.

After shaking many hands and giving out several hugs the Edwards family went home for lunch. I took a short nap and then came back to my office to pray some more and finalize the message for the evening service from [Col 1:13-23] on the excellence of Jesus Christ. We took communion in response to God’s word to celebrate our redemption through Christ.

The day culminated with a farewell reception in the fellowship hall. We were blessed with well wishes and many kind words of affirmation. The church gave us a generous love offering and my lap top computer. Many refused my extended hand for a handshake but insisted on a hug. I had no choice but to submit.

When I finally got home I felt expended physically, emotionally and spiritually. I preached my heart out in both services holding nothing back. I especially loved the evening service because it had nothing to do with us leaving but everything to do with the person of Jesus Christ. With that my ministry in Seminole has come to an end.

Brenda and I sat at breakfast this morning reminiscing with tears in our eyes. I do not have the words to put into writing how deeply we love FBC Seminole and how we always felt loved by the people. FBC Seminole is a great church. I had the privilege of serving with a great staff. I ministered with devout deacons. I was blessed to minister to the community through out broadcast ministry. I have no doubt more people watch the services on television than come to the physical facilities to worship. We were blessed time and time again by the love and generosity of God’s people who took great care of their pastor. I am undeserving.

The relationships will endure. My tenure as pastor was a short but full one. I do not know how many Sunday mornings I would walk across the parking lot while staring at the sanctuary and thank God for choosing me to pastor such a wonderful church. I cannot believe it ended this soon.

Someone asked me last night if I was excited about our new ministry. I am but Brenda and I also grieve privately. We need a little time to turn our focus from past memories to a future ministry. Tears are never far from either of us when we sit down and take it all in. They form in my eyes as I type this sentence. We love this church. It is not easy to uproot and leave. We do so only in obedience to the Lord and by faith.

In no way is that statement meant to slight the people who are making up Faith Community Church. No sir. Those people are wonderful as well. I know they love us and know they have prayed diligently for FBC Seminole for they lived through the pain of our leaving once too. We love them and look forward to ministry memories we will make starting a church from nothing.

Brenda and I need a little time to get ourselves together. I am leaving for the “prayer cabin” later this week. Three days will do my soul good to sit with the Lord and seek Him. There are still many unknowns.

I have to be honest in closing. I hate this part of ministry. I read today where a pastor served one flock for thirty-six years before he died. I want that. I thought Seminole was that place. I can only hope and pray these people know how deeply we love them. We gave our souls to this church and community.

I am reminded of Paul’s words found in [Acts 20:22-24] Paul felt bound in the Spirit to go to Jerusalem. He knew God had a call on Him even though He knew following that call would mean the loss of his freedom and suffering. It eventually led to his execution. I am bound in the Spirit to start Faith Community Church and to return to Paradise. Only God knows the fruit of ministry in Seminole. In the end I have to leave content in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment