Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sitting at the Feet of Jesus

I long to sit at the feet of Jesus. As I enjoy time at the prayer cabin this week I am afforded more time to do that without distraction. Lord, you are worthy of my fullest attention. You deserve my best energies and highest devotion. Like Mary in [Luke 10:39] I want to remain seated at your feet listening to your words.

I know you have much you want to reveal to me. Like a sponge I sit at your feet to soak all of you and all you have to say to me. Sitting at your feet is the best place for your followers. At times that might mean you doing all the talking us doing all the listening. There are times when you desire we unload all our burdens and cares upon you because you care for us as pour our hearts out to like water. [I Pet 5:7]

Sitting at your feet is the longing of this parched heart. In you I find refreshment and restoration to battle another day. In you alone I find guidance when the way seems confusing. In you I find direction so I can follow you for you already know the way. I love sitting at your feet especially on this hallowed ground. I do not face the many things that draw me away from your feet like phone calls, emails, text messages, emergencies, meetings, and deadlines at this prayer cabin. This is sacred ground for me.

At your feet time tends to stand still. Enjoying you is the highest goal and the highest reward for this thirsty soul. Thank you for beckoning me to come. I do not have to put on pretense for we are way past that. You know me and love me regardless of my glaring failures and inconsistencies . You not only allow me to come but you welcome me to come into presence. In fact, you command me to come before you with boldness to find grace and help in my time of need not on my merit but on yours. [Heb 4:16] You invite us to draw near to you. That is the cry of my heart.

When I lose myself at your feet and cling to your every word nothing else matters. Trials fade in the light of your glory. Sorrows seem more manageable. Confusion gives way to peace. Burdens are lifted into your Sovereign hands. Clear direction illuminates my path. The benefits are too numerous.

The question begs itself why do we allow ourselves to get so distracted with doing rather than being a devoted pupil seated at your feet. I have heard people argue that somebody has to do the work. There has to be Marthas to busy themselves with activity. Everybody cannot be a Mary.

I do not think for one second Mary was lazy. She was devoted to you. Deep affections welled up in her heart. I bet after you were crucified and rose again she treasured those tender moments seated at your feet more than Martha treasured a dinner for you and your companions. It seems to me as I read scripture and history the people who have been used to accomplish the most for your glory were also people who frequently and habitually sat at your feet listening.

I want to be one of those people. While Jase and Sean slept this morning I arose early to sit at your feet and you met with me. I read through Job and into Psalms. You had something to say to me this morning and I have treasured it in my heart. You know me and what I needed for today. Your words are timely.

I am off to seek you in prayer meetings all throughout today. I am not positive but I think that we actually will find ourselves prostrated at your feet rather than sitting. “O, the joy we share as we tarry there, none others knows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment