Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Great Outdoors

I am sitting out on the deck of this mountain home. Overhead I can hear the wind whistling through the trees. Pine trees to be more specific. There are ten giant Pines standing like sentries guarding the perimeter of this deck. In every direction there are trees. This is a welcome sight for a native east Texan.

The wind is just brisk enough I needed a lightweight jacket. The sky above is a gorgeous blue with a hint of white puffy clouds floating on the breeze. I love the mountains. I love trees and of all the different make of trees I love the Pines most of all for they remind me of home. Sitting out on this deck is one of the reasons I wanted to get away.

Over the past few minutes Tanner, Tucker, and Turner have come out to sit with me. No agenda just sitting and talking. We shared some M&M’s and enjoyed being together. Brenda and Taylor are inside napping after a morning of tubing. The boys had a great time but this is what energizes me. Sitting and reflecting. These are some of my favorite past times.

There is something about sitting in God’s great outdoors that soothes the soul. Things are very tranquil out here. I can hear the faint chirping of birds off in the distance and occasionally a car drives by. Other than that it is just my thoughts and me. All the boys have left me now and I sit out here alone again. Most of my thoughts are centered on the greatness of God displayed in creation.

Here I can bask in the beauty of the Lord in the mountains. In about three months I will be able to do the same thing on the sandy beaches of Panama City, FL when I preach a youth camp there. All of creation shouts glory to God. Just sitting out here is one of God’s great blessings. I do not want to take all this scenery for granted. I cannot imagine someone sitting out in the great outdoors and not thinking about God and offering praise to Him. This reminds me that He is far more vast than my imagination. Lord, thank you for the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment