Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hold My Hand

Brenda has had an infection in one of her toes for nearly a year now. She put it off and put it off but finally agreed to go and see a doctor. We drove over to Midland so see a physician. Dr. Weaver had not been in the examination two minutes when she diagnosed the problem as being an ingrown nail.

Brenda has tried several things to cure the toe but nothing has worked. The doctor told us that there were two treatment options. The entire nail could be removed permanently or a partial part of the nail could be removed temporarily. We opted for the second treatment.

One of Brenda’s fears about going to the doctor was that she might have to get a shot or be stuck with a needle. She has a phobia of needles. I don’t think you understand. SHE HAS A PHOBIA OF NEEDLES! I could see the fear building on her face and eventually working itself out through her dear ducts. I got up to her hold her hand and made a classic mistake.

I gave her the hand with my wedding ring on it. When the doctor stuck her toe to deaden it for the procedure Brenda began squeezing my hand like a vice grip. My wedding ring began to cut into my fingers under the pressure. The more pain she felt the harder the squeezed and then just like that it was done. A few moments later she removed part of the nail and found the ingrown nail and removed it. Again Brenda held onto my hands and squeezed but a minute and a half later the whole thing was over and done.

God spoke through Isaiah in [Is 41:10] “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

There are times in life when male or female, strong or weak, big or little we need God to reach down from eternity and to hold our hand. When it is dark outside and my boys cannot see to find their way they do not fear if they can reach out in the darkness and find my hand. Just knowing that I am there brings peace and comfort. It is the same way with God. In the darkest times God reaches down to hold our hand to offer strength and comfort. When we reach out to grasp His infinitely strong and sovereign hand; peace floods our hearts and minds. [Phil 4:7] If we draw our hand back in defiant independence we are left to cope with the darkness with our own limited resources. Many try. It is a hard row to hoe.

Last night we went to open houses on two of the campuses for Tucker and Turner. Turner was excited twisting, leaping, running, skipping, and twirling. It was driving Brenda crazy. At one point he forgot what he was doing and took off running across a parking lot which is a big no no in our house. I told him to hold my hand and that as long as he was holding my hand he could jump, twirl, twist, and shout. He could leap, skip, and bounce all he wanted. The one condition was he could do all of that just as long as he kept hold of my hand. I wanted him to know the safety of my boundaries while still being able to enjoy himself.

The simple act of holding a hand can have so many different implications for a believer. It can remind us that God is in control and serve to strengthen and comfort us in the painful times of life. Holding the hand of God can also serve as our protection. Holding His hand can bring security in insecure situations.

Now let’s take that one step further. How many people need a helping hand? We, the body of Christ, serve as Jesus’ representatives. We are to be the hands of Jesus to those who are in need of assistance. We must be willing to lend a helping hand even without being asked. We are to offer a loving pat for those hurting and filled with sorrow. We are to gently hold the hands of those who are ill offering prayer on their behalf. We are to extend a loving hand for those experiencing excruciating pain. Look at the example of Jesus; [Matt 8:2-3] [Matt 14:30-31] [Mark 5:40-42] [Luke 4:40] [Luke 13:10-13] Those are just a few examples.

Such a simple act has so many implications. Today there are two simple applications. There might be times when like Brenda or like my boys you may need to reach out in your spirit to grasp the hand of God. He has a big hand which will not only engulf yours but also all your burdens as well. Give them to Him one by one. The other application is that somewhere in this world someone needs a loving ministering hand to hold or to help. Will you be that hand for someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment