Monday, October 19, 2009

Farm House

One of God’s many blessings to me over the years has been the opportunity to get away from time to time to the prayer cabin I have often written about in East Texas. I have met with the Lord in that rustic cabin for well over a decade. I recently had the chance to spend two nights there and it was bittersweet. It was sweet because I had time to meet with the Lord in that place. It was bitter because since I moved ten hours west, I felt it was one of the last times I would get to retreat there.

God is so gracious. Recently, I was contacted by a deacon in our church who told me he knew of a place that I could use to get away from time to time to write and to pray. One day we met for a lunch and he drove out of town to an old farm house surrounded by farm land. The house is located right off of the Lamesa highway. It is a white vinyl sided three bedroom farm house. Nobody lives here anymore. The former owners of this house were members of FBC Seminole and were dearly loved and blessed by former pastors. They were pillars in the church and both have since died and moved on to glory.

When the daughters were approached about my using this house from time to time to both pray and write they graciously afforded me this opportunity. Weeks ago, I looked at my calendar and set aside this day for a personal retreat. I got up this morning with a couple of books, my Bible and this computer and made my way out here. I have enjoyed this day in solitude and reflection. I have prayed, written, read scripture, and meditated on the Lord.

Just a few moments ago I got up and as I was looking out a window I saw a bird resting on a branch in a tree. The closer I examined the bird I discovered it was a dove. The dove was symbolic of the Holy Spirit in the Bible and I took comfort in the thought that God was reassuring me that this will be a place where I will meet with Him in significant ways. This is also a place where I receive more empowering from the Spirit of God to shepherd, to preach, to lead, and to write.

Though my ability to go the prayer cabin has been hindered God has given me great accessibility to this farm house. It is located about thirteen miles from my office. I have sat at this bar throughout the day praying and writing. I enjoyed being alone with no television, no telephones, no internet, but with the sweet presence of God. My affections for the Lord have already increased in this farm house. His word has touched my heart and His presence revived me for greater effectiveness in service. It is almost time to go back and I do so with greater fervor to serve my Lord and the people of Seminole.

This is my secret rendezvous to meet with my Lord. It is a sacred spot nestled in the middle of thousands of acres of farm land. While traffic may pass on the outside no one knows the divine encounters I am enjoying on the inside. I have sat before the Lord and sought His counsel today concerning what country the Lord is calling FBC Seminole to follow Him to in missions. Two keep coming to mind. I asked for specific vision and direction about the future of FBC Seminole. Though somewhat foggy still in my mind a clearer picture is coming together. I sought His counsel about future staff members and about what direction I am to go in preaching on Sunday mornings. I am beginning to settle on what the Lord wants to speak to His people on Sunday mornings.

God is so good to me. I am blessed to have been given access to an idea place to get away for spiritual renewal and to write blogs and books that will minister to people far beyond FBC Seminole. What a joy to have been given this blessing. I want to steward it well. I am looking forward to the time that books will be produced within these walls. I believe for the day when the voice of God will stun my soul as He reveals His counsel and His purposes. I yearn to see the day when God’s specific vision will be planted in my heart for Seminole.

Jesus, thank you for this farm house and for those who lived here and served you faithfully for many decades. Thank you for those who have made this place accessible for me. I trust you for divine encounters and many times to meet with you at this farm house. I trust you for times when Jase and I will be able to seek you together in prayer. I trust you for times when other trusted brothers will be able to meet with me here to cry out to you in prayer. You are my God, my Lord, and my Father. Thank you for meeting with me at this farm house. The best is yet to come.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it has taken me a year to respond to the tenderness and depth of emotions felt by me and shared by my children in this particular blog. You see this farm house is my heritage and I was six years old when it was built (now I am 70). My years at FBC were most influential with Godly parents and Godly people in my life. Thank you for using this place as a retreat and giving life to the empty space.

    This last year has been a very hard one for me emotinally and spiritually since I have been dealing with spousal infidelity, the overwhelming feeling of rejection and the resulting divorce which will be final next week.

    There is a Godly man representing my interests in the farm and I praise God daily for him...Mark Beaty.

    Again thanks for inspiring me and being a writer myself have started to read your other blogs and find so many thoughts to spur me to greater limits.

    Celesta Golden Vaughan

    ReplyDelete