Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Majesty and Mystery of the Mind of God

Who among us has not at times questioned the moves and purposes of God? Who has not wondered and been bewildered by His ways? All of us have been there at one time or another.

This past week I was eating breakfast with an old friend at IHOP and we were discussing the topic the mysterious mind of God. God does things and moves in ways that are at times bizarre and downright bewildering. Yet, the mind of God is equally majestic in that His mind is sovereign and omniscient. He knows what He is doing even though we often doubt and question Him.

Who can really fathom and comprehend the infinite wisdom of God. We want to transcend our thoughts, procedures, and purposes onto to Him but they will never stick. We only see in part and most of our thoughts are consumed with our little ideas about our little worlds. God sees from beginning to the end. Sooner or later something will happen in all of our lives that tests our faith and opens the door for confusion.

I was reading an old James Dobson book today entitled, When God Doesn’t Make Sense. He writes, “It is an incorrect view of scripture to say that we will always comprehend what God is doing and how our suffering and disappointment fit into His plan. Sooner or later, most of us will come to a point where it appears that God has lost control-or interest- in the affairs of people. It is only an illusion, but one with dangerous implications for spiritual and mental health. Interestingly enough, pain and suffering do not cause the greatest damage. Confusion is the factor that shreds one’s faith.” p. 13

I have been meditating on a couple verses for several weeks now. They have made it into much of my writing as well as my preaching as of late. “For My thoughts are not your thoughts neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” [Is 55:8-9] The word “higher” means exalted, lofty, or raised up to great heights. Such is the thinking of God. It is beyond our ability to comprehend and is often baffling to our low level thinking.

God’s thoughts, purposes, intentions, and plans are placed on the top shelf. You and I cannot get on our tip toes and stretch high enough intellectually to fully comprehend the majestic and mysterious mind of God. It is simply too lofty and too exalted. It really comes down to faith that we trust God knows what He is doing.

I don’t know what is causing you confusion at this time. I only know that God’s mind is majestic and often mysterious. There have been numerous times when I wanted to scream and say, “God I don’t understand what you are doing. You said it would all work out for my good if I loved you and was called according to your purpose. [Rom 8:28] Life hurts and I do not understand how this is working for my good or what purpose this serves nor can I feel your presence in the midst of this darkness!”

I have prayed prayers just like that and God’s response many times has been silence or the exhortation to trust Him in the middle of the confusion. This has not been easy. God’s mind though majestically higher than ours is often mysterious. In hindsight, God has proven Himself faithful in my life everytime. How many prayers have started with, “Why?” Why did this happen? Why do good people suffer? Our why questions could fill up a book but that does not mean that God is obligated to answer. Though I have not understood what He was doing nor why He was or was not intervening in my life He has been faithful. He simply tells us His thoughts are more majestic than ours and His thoughts though often mysterious should still be trusted. Let me encourage you to keep trusting God despite the blinding tears, the relentless pain, the hopeless circumstances, and above all else the crippling confusion. He is a majestic God but He is also at times mysterious. Despite that fact He has been, continues to be, and will always be worthy of trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment