Monday, August 10, 2009

Do Not Worry


That phrase is repeated three times in [Matt 6:25-34]. There is no lack of things that can cause us stress and anxiety in this world. Caring for aging parents can be a cause of anxiety. Losing jobs can cause a person to worry. Raising children can be a cause of worry. Back to school expenses can be another stress point in people’s lives. There are multiple things we can worry about in this life.
The word worry has several different meanings. It means to be anxious, to be troubled with cares, or to have distracting cares. How many of you have trouble sleeping at night because of your anxious thoughts. I battled this myself for a couple of months. How many of you are distracted from your responsibilities because of the heavy load you are carrying in your mind. How many of you are consumed with thoughts about your troubles that drain the mental and physical energy you have.
Worry is a choice on our part. This morning as I was having my devotion time reading through the book of Matthew I was hit between the eyes with the whole not worrying thing. As Brenda and I prepare for our move to Seminole there are so many details weighing on our minds. Moving is never fun and one of the great stress points we have is that we do not have a place to live yet.
My anxious heart was comforted by [Matt 6:31-34]. “Do not worry then saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
What really impacted me out of those verses was the phrase, “your heavenly Father knows that you need all those things.” I rested in that truth and as I rested in it, worry exited my mind. God knows what you need and what I need. He knows the loads we carry and the stress points in our lives. His knowing is more than just being aware. He is concerned and He is involved. He does more than identify our problems. He troubleshoots and solves our problems.
I am resting in the peace of knowing that He has a house for my family in Seminole, TX. I do not know where or how but this is another one of those exciting opportunities to behold the faithfulness of God. The stage is being set for God to work in our lives. You and I can pull up a chair and watch in faith as God moves, intervenes, works, and astounds. Or we can take our seats and miss God’s display of power and His outpouring of comfort and strength because we are distracted with our cares and troubled about how we can fix things.
I am choosing to watch in faith. I am on edge of my seat anticipating what the Lord will do next and strangely though my circumstances have not changed one bit but I am at peace. God knows my troubles and He is able to handle all that distracts my heart. I have a peace that defies human logic. [Phil 4:6-7] This peace is available to any child of God who will wait in faith and rest in the hope that God knows what we need and what we face.
He is so faithful. Over a month ago we were a one car family. God heard my prayers and when the timing was right He astounded me with His power and provision. Out in my drive way sits a miracle truck. In fact, as we were driving home from church last night one of Tanner’s friends who was spending the night with us commented that it was the first time he had ridden in the truck. I told him that he was riding in a miracle.
I leave you with this thought. God’s resources are unlimited. His power is inexhaustible. His wisdom is inscrutable. The depths of His love are unsearchable. With that knowledge today why worry. Leave it with the Lord and let His peace rule in your heart making no room for anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment