Friday, November 12, 2010

Souls Knit Together

David had more than a friend in Jonathan. David had a brother. The scriptures record that their souls were knit together. [I Sam 18:1] I have also known that blessing multiple times over. When God knits your soul to another brother or a sister the relationship goes much deeper than friendship.

I have such brothers. They have been there for me in the darkest and most distressing times of my life. They have prayed for me. They have spoken hard truth to me when I did not want to hear it. They have reached deep in their pockets and given to me out of sacrifice to meet my financial needs when I was destitute. They have lifted me up when my spirits sunk faster than the Titanic. They have listened to my wild dreams and not mocked me for them. They have encouraged me to pursue those dreams. They have listened when I felt abandoned and wounded by Pharisees, hypocrites, and power mongers.

What a joy to enjoy camaraderie with men who know everything there is to know about me. I am grateful for such men who have seen me at my best and my worst and continue to love me. I am humbled by men who believe in me when I no longer believe in myself. I am thankful for men who have wept with me before the Lord as we poured our hearts out in prayer. I am so blessed to have men who love me despite my rough edges and there are many jagged pointed edges to my personality. I am often too intense. I am a man of passion. Though I love people I love solitude equally. I am driven and focused. I am thankful for men who love me anyway.

From time to time I get to turn the tide as I did the other day. I get to be the encourager, the listener, and the one who prays. One of those brothers called me in his private distress. My soul ached for him. We talked for a long while. More than anything I listened. I felt helpless to help him in the trial he faced. I can love and offer words of comfort from the scriptures and prayers for a brother down in despair. I can pray for him and his family. The one thing I cannot and will not do is to abandon him in his time of need.

There are relationships too deep to be defined by words. You cannot describe the depth of compassion, bonding, memories, and spiritual blood shared through years of standing side by side in the fight of faith. This one brother has stood with me through thick and thin. He has defended me. He has supported me. He has welcomed me into the inner recesses of his heart and life. He has given me opportunities in ministry. He has most of all loved me. Our souls are knit together.

While talking on the phone with him I thought of dropping everything to drive to be by his side. I would not give it a second thought though we separated by many hours and miles. That is what real friendship is and what a real friend does. You are there for one another. You stand side by side. You hold each other up when the other is weary and wounded.

I have never been rich. I love giving more than receiving. One thing I can say without reservation is that I am rich in relationships. To those of you who are knit to my soul I say, “I love you. I admire you. I thank God for you.” You know who you are. May we continue to stand side by side in the fight of faith and for the glory of God! Hope to see you guys soon. Never give up. Never quit believing God to do more than you think possible. Never doubt you have a soul brother in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment